Amature national race team needs some help

• Thread starter RacerDad22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Race
In summary: It may be necessary to adjust the spring rate accordingly to compensate for this. Another factor to consider is the weight of the ATV and its effect on the overall performance and shifting of the CVT system. Overall, it seems that there are several variables at play that could affect the performance and shifting of the CVT, so further experimentation and adjustments may be necessary to achieve the desired results.
RacerDad22
Hey All,

we race mini / kids ATVs at a national level. these little things use a CVT style transmission, which is critical for performance, and tuning is a pain. if you are not familiar with a CVT, the fundamentals are a spinning mass on the crank shaft that creates a force on a part called a variator. that force is transferred via a belt to a rear pulley, where a spring is used to resist that force. when the force of the spring is overcome by the force of the spinning mass up front, the CVT begins to shift.

The problem at hand I am trying to solve is balancing what weights up front to use, at what RPM to overcome what force on a chosen spring. ultimately, I am looking to control the shift point (rpm) at which this begins, and get the process as linear as possible. I have taken some measurements of various spring rates and force it takes to compress in lbs. I also have the radius distance of the weights against the rotating front variator. here is an example of what I have calculated:

spring "A"
initial compression length 1.75 inches =89lbs
mid point compression 1.5 inches = 96lbs
final compression of 1.25 inches = 114lbs.

variator force -spinning weight =18g, distance from center of variator to center of weight =21mm measured force in lbs:
7000 rpms =46lbs
8000 rpms = 57lbs
9000 rpms = 75lbs
10000 rpms = 93lbs
11000 rpms = 112lbs
12000 rpms = 134lbs
13000 rpms = 157lbs

so, here is where the measured and observed differ. from looking at these numbers, spring "A" should not begin to shift until somewhere between 9000-10000rpms. in reality, it begins to shift at around 8000 rpms.

anyone got what I am missing to put into my calculations? some thought I had, but no sure about:
*is there any other force put on the rear spring besides the rotational forces? the belt connecting the front variator (weights) to the rear pulley does have a ratio to it (small front to larger rear), but is not calculated for in my equations.

*measuring the front weights - the roller weights are cylindrical and in a ramp inside the variator part. I measured from center of the variator to center of the weights. also, the weights are on a ramp that "rolls" the weights to the outside of the variator at a given rate. so if initial distance is 21mm, the final radius is something like 29mm - I have not measured that.

-EA

Physics news on Phys.org
In addition to the forces you have listed, there could be friction losses in the belt and pulley system that are not accounted for. You should also consider the effect of centrifugal force on the weights as the RPM increases. As the RPM increases, the weights will be pressed outward more, which would increase the force on the rear pulley.

What type of help does an amateur national race team typically need?

An amateur national race team may need help with funding, finding sponsors, training and coaching, equipment and gear, and race preparation and strategy.

What are some ways to secure funding for an amateur national race team?

Some ways to secure funding for an amateur national race team include seeking out sponsors, crowdfunding, hosting fundraising events, and applying for grants or sponsorships from organizations or companies in the racing industry.

How can an amateur national race team attract sponsors?

An amateur national race team can attract sponsors by showcasing their achievements and potential, creating a strong social media presence, networking with individuals and companies in the racing industry, and offering attractive sponsorship packages with benefits for the sponsors.

What are some key elements of successful race preparation and strategy for an amateur national race team?

Successful race preparation and strategy for an amateur national race team include thorough training and practice, researching and understanding the race course and competitors, having a well-maintained and properly tuned race vehicle, and having a solid race plan and backup plans in case of unexpected events.

What are some important factors to consider when choosing equipment and gear for an amateur national race team?

When choosing equipment and gear for an amateur national race team, it is important to consider quality, durability, and compatibility with the race vehicle and race conditions. It is also important to consider the team's budget and whether renting or purchasing equipment would be more cost-effective.