Amazing HEMS rescue of injured skier (don't try this at home)

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary, a helicopter rescue in the French Alps made headlines, reminding one person of a similar rescue attempt on Mt. Baker in 2000. The rescue required the pilot to hover at a high altitude and jettison fuel to reach the stranded climber. The pilot's task was made slightly easier by touching one of the skids to the snow, but this also added an element of risk. The conversation then shifts to the practicality of attempting such a rescue without a helicopter and the courage of the pilot involved.
berkeman
Mentor
Wow, what amazing flying skill, and at high altitude no less! :smile:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/travel/2019/01/09/french-alps-helicopter-rescue-ns-roth-orig.cnn

upload_2019-1-9_8-42-49.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-9_8-42-49.png
    upload_2019-1-9_8-42-49.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 707
Physics news on Phys.org
Made me think of a rescue on Mt. Baker (in Washington state), in 2000. Two climbers were attempting the North Ridge on Mt. Baker, and got into trouble. The route includes an icewall at about a 75 degree slope, with about a 140' pitch. One of the climbers was killed outright in the fall, and the other was in cardiac arrest when the chopper got there. The pilot was able to hover the chopper at an altitude of 8700', but had to jettison fuel before going that high.
The second climber was successfully transported to a hospital, but as I recall, died anyway.
Link to article: http://old.poxod.com/memorial/Mt.Baker/from_Seattle_Times.htm

My own interest in this article is that I was with a friend, attempting the same route the year before. After I had climbed up about 30' above my friend's belay position, and placing an ice screw, I realized that with only one more screw I was woefully unprepared for this climb, and decided to back off.

Likes berkeman
I don't think the pilot really hovered, from the video it looks like the chopper was touching the snow with one of the skids, which makes the task a bit easier.

I am not saying it is trivial, just a different thing than the description seems to be suggesting.

Borek said:
I don't think the pilot really hovered, from the video it looks like the chopper was touching the snow with one of the skids, which makes the task a bit easier.
Easier from a physics standpoint, but very risky from a practical standpoint. If the terrain is very steep, the pilot runs the risk of the rotors hitting the slope. In the rescue I described, the chopper's rotors were only 3' away from the ice.
Borek said:
I am not saying it is trivial, just a different thing than the description seems to be suggesting.

Borek said:
from the video it looks like the chopper was touching the snow with one of the skids, which makes the task a bit easier.
I think so too, but as @Mark44 says, those rotor blades are way too close to the snow for comfort. But without a winch, it looks like the medics had no choice but to walk out the skids to get to the snow. If the pilot were hovering just off of the snow, the perturbations from the medics getting off and back onto the skids would have made the stable hover crazy hard!

The pilot has great courage, I must say.

By the way, who will try this at home, @berkeman? One needs a helicopter at least, I believe? And not many common people own a helicopter. o_O :olduhh:

Wrichik Basu said:
By the way, who will try this at home, @berkeman? One needs a helicopter at least, I believe?
A good friend of mine is a flight paramedic with a local law enforcement agency. I can just imagine the conversation between the pilot and my friend Mark (not @Mark44 ) as they close in on a local hiker trapped on a steep slope. Mark: "You want to do WHAT?!" :bugeye:

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. What is "Amazing HEMS rescue of injured skier"?

"Amazing HEMS rescue of injured skier" refers to a high-altitude emergency medical service (HEMS) operation in which a helicopter is used to rescue an injured skier from a remote or difficult-to-access location on a mountain. These rescues are often complex and involve highly skilled pilots and medical personnel.

2. How does a HEMS rescue of an injured skier work?

In a HEMS rescue, a helicopter is typically dispatched from a base or nearby airport to the location of the injured skier. The helicopter will then land as close to the injured skier as possible, and a team of trained paramedics or mountain rescue personnel will attend to the victim. The injured skier will then be airlifted to a medical facility for treatment.

3. What are some dangers or challenges involved in a HEMS rescue of an injured skier?

HEMS rescues of injured skiers can be extremely dangerous and challenging due to the high altitude, unpredictable weather conditions, and difficult terrain. The helicopter pilots need to navigate through narrow and steep mountain valleys while also dealing with strong winds and limited visibility. The medical personnel also face risks such as exposure to extreme temperatures, high altitudes, and potential avalanches.

4. How are HEMS rescue teams trained and prepared for such operations?

HEMS rescue teams undergo extensive training to prepare for these types of operations. Pilots are trained in mountain flying techniques and must have a thorough understanding of the specific terrain and weather patterns in the area. Medical personnel receive specialized training in high-altitude medicine and rescue techniques. These teams also regularly participate in drills and simulations to ensure they are prepared for any emergency situation.

5. Can anyone attempt a HEMS rescue of an injured skier?

No, HEMS rescues of injured skiers should only be attempted by trained and certified professionals. These operations require specialized equipment, training, and experience to be executed safely and effectively. Attempting a HEMS rescue without the proper knowledge and resources can put both the rescuer and the injured skier at risk. It is important to always call for professional help in these situations.