Ambiguity in part B -- Rocket engine failure....

In summary, the question involves a 7750 kg rocket that is launched vertically with a constant upward acceleration of 2.35 m/s^2 and no air resistance. At a height of 555 m, its engines suddenly fail and it is only acted upon by gravity. The question then asks for the time it takes for the rocket to crash back down to the launch pad, starting from when the engines shut off at 555 m. However, the wording of the question may be ambiguous and could be interpreted as the time from when the rocket reaches its maximum height to when it crashes back down.
Fancypen
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Question: A 7750 kg rocket blasts off vertically from the launch pad with a constant upward acceleration of 2.35 m/s^2 and feels no appreciable air resistance. When it has reached a height of 555 m , its engines suddenly fail so that the only force acting on it is now gravity.

Part B: How much time after engine failure will elapse before the rocket comes crashing down to the launch pad?

So, I understood Part B to mean: calculate the time from 555 m, when the engines fail, to the max height, when velocity=0. However, they are looking for the time from when the engines shuts off, 555 m, to when it crashes.

I feel like Part B is ambiguous... we use MasteringPhysics and the book is great, but it seems like it was written in a lazy way. Maybe it's just me.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fancypen said:
Question: A 7750 kg rocket blasts off vertically from the launch pad with a constant upward acceleration of 2.35 m/s^2 and feels no appreciable air resistance. When it has reached a height of 555 m , its engines suddenly fail so that the only force acting on it is now gravity.

Part B: How much time after engine failure will elapse before the rocket comes crashing down to the launch pad?

So, I understood Part B to mean: calculate the time from 555 m, when the engines fail, to the max height, when velocity=0. However, they are looking for the time from when the engines shuts off, 555 m, to when it crashes.

I feel like Part B is ambiguous... we use MasteringPhysics and the book is great, but it seems like it was written in a lazy way. Maybe it's just me.

What do you think?

p.s. I already solved the problem, but this wording is bothering me!

Fancypen said:
p.s. I already solved the problem, but this wording is bothering me!
I agree it's unclear. Had it said "onto" the launch pad there would be no ambiguity.

Likes Fancypen
haruspex said:
I agree it's unclear. Had it said "onto" the launch pad there would be no ambiguity.

Okay, thank you!

1. What is ambiguity in relation to rocket engine failure?

Ambiguity refers to a lack of clarity or uncertainty in the meaning or interpretation of information related to a rocket engine failure. It can arise due to incomplete or conflicting data, or errors in communication or understanding.

2. How does ambiguity affect the investigation and analysis of rocket engine failure?

Ambiguity can significantly complicate the investigation and analysis of rocket engine failures by making it difficult to identify the root cause of the failure. It can also lead to incorrect conclusions or recommendations, which can have serious consequences for future rocket launches.

3. What are some common sources of ambiguity in rocket engine failure investigations?

Common sources of ambiguity include incomplete or inaccurate data, conflicting witness accounts, and technical jargon that may be difficult for non-experts to understand. Human error and bias can also contribute to ambiguity in the investigation process.

4. How can scientists and engineers reduce ambiguity in rocket engine failure investigations?

To reduce ambiguity, scientists and engineers must carefully collect and analyze all available data and evidence, and ensure that their methods and findings are transparent and replicable. Collaborating with experts from different fields can also help to identify and address potential sources of ambiguity.

5. Can ambiguity ever be completely eliminated in rocket engine failure investigations?

While it may not be possible to completely eliminate ambiguity, scientists and engineers can take steps to minimize its impact on investigations. This includes implementing rigorous protocols for data collection and analysis, and continually reviewing and refining these processes to improve accuracy and reliability.