Americans Elect - the first internet Presidential ticket?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary: Americans Elect is the first-ever open nominating process. We're using the Internet to give every single voter—Democrat, Republican or independent—the power to nominate a presidential ticket in 2012. The people will choose the issues. The people will choose the candidates. And in a secure, online convention next June, the people will make history by putting their choice on the ballot in every state...In summary, Americans Elect is a new organization that is using the Internet to give every voter the power to nominate a presidential ticket. They will choose the issues, the candidates, and the president in an online convention next June.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have no opinion on this yet but it sounds interesting.

What is Americans Elect?

Americans Elect is the first-ever open nominating process. We're using the Internet to give every single voter—Democrat, Republican or independent—the power to nominate a presidential ticket in 2012. The people will choose the issues. The people will choose the candidates. And in a secure, online convention next June, the people will make history by putting their choice on the ballot in every state...
http://www.americanselect.org/about

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Finally,

Cemore Asses will finally get elected!

Evo - 2012!

Nobody who has ever spent any time reading youtube comments can possibly think this will turn out well.

WhoWee said:
Evo - 2012!

Damn right!

NeoDevin said:
Nobody who has ever spent any time reading youtube comments can possibly think this will turn out well.

Damn right!

NeoDevin said:

And we can see how much the bar is raised at PF. :smile:

http://www.americanselect.org/privacy :rolleyes:

what could possibly be wrong with this? it'll be interesting to see who they really are and who they're collecting information for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pengwuino said:
Talk about the little guy being shouted down...

I was being sarcastic; based in part on the responses in this thread so far.

Ivan Seeking said:
I was being sarcastic; based in part on the responses in this thread so far.

One can only imagine how many votes Charlie Sheen, Louis Farrakhan, Charles Manson, Clint Eastwood, Bill Maher, Steven Colbert, Glen Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Jon Stewart, Turbo, Sean Penn, Miley Cyrus, Jay Williams (a real politician) and others might receive.

On a serious note - my guess is younger voters will be more likely to engage in this type activity - to coin a phrase "flashmob politics". If they find a hero in Howard Dean or some other far left personality and put forth a serious write-in effort - it could hurt the President. Okay - not too serious.:rofl:

WhoWee said:
On a serious note - my guess is younger voters will be more likely to engage in this type activity - to coin a phrase "flashmob politics". If they find a hero in Howard Dean or some other far left personality and put forth a serious write-in effort - it could hurt the President. Okay - not too serious.:rofl:

Well, if you go through the questions and look at the percentages each response gets, it's clear they'll wind up with a liberal candidate. However, some candidates are more popular on the internet than in real life (Ron Paul for example), so I have my doubts about whether their candidate would actually hurt the President's re-election efforts.

I think they're underestimating the difficulty of getting on the ballot in all 50 states. Even well-organized, yet small, political parties such as the Libertarians and the Greens struggle with that.

It's difficult, but worst case scenario they just tell you (if you're in a state that they couldn't) to turn yours into a write-in vote via e-mail, text, phone call, etc.

Of course, reminders like that don't always work.. but it is doable.

1. What is Americans Elect?

Americans Elect is a non-partisan political organization that aimed to nominate a third-party candidate for the United States Presidential election through an online nominating process.

2. How did Americans Elect select its candidates?

Americans Elect used an online platform where registered users could nominate and vote for their preferred candidate. The top candidates with the most votes were then evaluated by a board of directors before being officially nominated.

3. What were the requirements for a candidate to be nominated by Americans Elect?

Candidates had to be at least 35 years old, natural-born citizens of the United States, and eligible to hold the office of President according to the Constitution. They also had to pass a background check and receive support from at least 1,000 registered users from each of 10 states.

4. Was Americans Elect successful in nominating a candidate for the Presidential election?

No, Americans Elect was not successful in nominating a candidate for the Presidential election. Despite having several candidates reach the required support, none of them met the additional requirement of receiving support from 1,000 registered users from each of 10 states.

5. Is Americans Elect still active?

No, Americans Elect has not been active since 2012 when it failed to nominate a candidate for the Presidential election. The organization has since dissolved and is no longer functioning.