Ammeter and Voltmeter question?

In summary, an ammeter and voltmeter are connected in series to a cell, with readings of A and V respectively. When a resistance is added in parallel with the voltmeter, the correct answer is option (c) - A will decrease and V will increase. This is because the added resistance decreases the total resistance in the circuit, resulting in an increase in current and a decrease in potential difference across the voltmeter.
vkash

Homework Statement

A ammeter and a voltmeter are joined in series to a cell . Their reading are A and V respectively. If a resistance is now joined in parallel with voltmeter,
(a) Both A and V will increase
(b) Both A and V will decrease
(c) A will decrease V will increase
(d) A will increase V will decrease

Homework Equations

You know that so i needn't to provide

The Attempt at a Solution

For me option 'B' is correct
why?
because; in first case net resistance in Rv+Ra so current in the circuit is [tex]\frac{V}{Rv+Ra}[\tex] In second case a new resistance is introduced in the circuit so net resistance is Rv+Ra+R. Current in this case is [itex]\frac{V}{Rv+Ra+R}[\itex]. A we can see quit clearly that [itex]\frac{V}{Rv+Ra[/sub}[\itex] > [itex]\frac{V}{Rv+Ra+R}[/itex]
so current in second case (say I2) is greater than current in first case(say I1)
Potential difference between the voltmeter in first case is [itex]RvI1[\itex] and in second case is [itex]RvI2[\itex]. I2<i1 so potential difference between the voltmeter in first case should greater than that in second case.
so what's the conclusion; that is ammeter reading as well as voltmeter reading will drop so. Option B is correct for me.
As always i ask. where am i wrong?
sorry friends i tried to change / \ and some others, but none work with tex itex so try understand as it is written or just put answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vkash said:

Homework Statement

A ammeter and a voltmeter are joined in series to a cell . Their reading are A and V respectively. If a resistance is now joined in parallel with voltmeter,
(a) Both A and V will increase
(b) Both A and V will decrease
(c) A will decrease V will increase
(d) A will increase V will decreaseFor me option 'B' is correct
why?
because; in first case net resistance in Rv+Ra so current in the circuit is [tex]\frac{V}{Rv+Ra}[\tex] In second case a new resistance is introduced in the circuit so net resistance is Rv+Ra+R.

It is wrong.

Read the problem again, especially the text in blue. Draw the circuit diagram, and find out how the resistances are connected.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
It is wrong.

Read the problem again, especially the text in blue. Draw the circuit diagram, and find out how the resistances are connected.

ehild

:smile:thanks buddy:smile:. Question solved.:smile:

1. What is the difference between an ammeter and voltmeter?

An ammeter measures the electric current flowing in a circuit, while a voltmeter measures the potential difference or voltage across a circuit.

2. How do I connect an ammeter and voltmeter in a circuit?

To measure current with an ammeter, it must be connected in series with the circuit, while a voltmeter must be connected in parallel to measure voltage.

3. Can I use an ammeter as a voltmeter or vice versa?

No, an ammeter and voltmeter are designed to measure specific quantities and cannot be used interchangeably.

4. What are the units of measurement for ammeters and voltmeters?

Ammeters measure current in amperes (A), while voltmeters measure voltage in volts (V).

5. How do I calibrate an ammeter or voltmeter?

Ammeters and voltmeters must be calibrated using a known reference value, such as a standard resistor or power source, to ensure accurate measurements.