Amplifying AD9850 DDS for 5Watt output. OPamp or RF FIT?

In summary: Absolutely. Faraday cages all around! Don't want to interfere with any Hamsters.Copper mesh shielding (1-2.5mm) around the antenna and a metal box to shield all the other components. Coaxial cable from my matching network to the antenna. (Building a low cost Helicon plasma source)
Helicon_Amateur
Hello. I am looking to amplify a sinusoidal signal generated from an AD9850 DDS. It appears the output is 1Vpp @ 27.12MHz when connected through a 50ohm cable to an oscilloscope. I need the total power output to be 5watts after amplification with a very clean sinusoid.

The output will be connected to a HYS TC-300 amplifier.

I will then connect the output from the HYS TC-300 to a LC matching network, and from there to a loop antenna for inductive plasma production.

My question is. What is a simple and thrifty way to amply the signal from the AD9850 signal generator? Are there OP amps that exist that would meet my requirements or do I need to use an RF FIT?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Helicon_Amateur said:
Hello. I am looking to amplify a sinusoidal signal generated from an AD9850 DDS. It appears the output is 1Vpp @ 27.12MHz when connected through a 50ohm cable to an oscilloscope. I need the total power output to be 5watts after amplification with a very clean sinusoid.

The output will be connected to a HYS TC-300 amplifier.

I will then connect the output from the HYS TC-300 to a LC matching network, and from there to a loop antenna for inductive plasma production.

My question is. What is simple and thrifty way to amply the signal from the AD9850 signal generator? Are there OP amps that exist that would meet my requirements or do I need to use an RF FIT?
Welcome to the PF.

Have a look at the components available from mini-circuits: http://www.minicircuits.com/products/Amplifiers_what_is_new.shtml

They probably have a module that will work for you. BTW,. this system will be well-shielded, right? You don't want to be leaking much energy out of your lab at frequencies that can cause RF interference to nearby receivers. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Have a look at the components available from mini-circuits: http://www.minicircuits.com/products/Amplifiers_what_is_new.shtml

They probably have a module that will work for you. BTW,. this system will be well-shielded, right? You don't want to be leaking much energy out of your lab at frequencies that can cause RF interference to nearby receivers. :smile:

Absolutely. Faraday cages all around! Don't want to interfere with any Hamsters.

Copper mesh shielding (1-2.5mm) around the antenna and a metal box to shield all the other components. Coaxial cable from my matching network to the antenna. (Building a low cost Helicon plasma source)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman

1. How can I amplify the output of the AD9850 DDS to 5 watts?

There are a few different options for amplifying the output of the AD9850 DDS to 5 watts. One option is to use an operational amplifier (OPamp) as a voltage amplifier to increase the signal strength. Another option is to use a radio frequency (RF) field effect transistor (FET) as a power amplifier to boost the output power.

2. Which is a better choice for amplifying the AD9850 DDS - an OPamp or RF FET?

The choice between using an OPamp or RF FET for amplifying the AD9850 DDS depends on your specific needs and project requirements. An OPamp may be a better choice for low frequency applications, while an RF FET may be better for high frequency applications. It is important to carefully consider the specifications and capabilities of each option before making a decision.

3. Can I use multiple OPamps or RF FETs to achieve 5 watt output?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple OPamps or RF FETs in a configuration to achieve 5 watt output. This can help distribute the workload and increase the overall power output. However, it is important to ensure that the components are properly matched and configured to avoid any issues with interference or instability.

4. Are there any safety considerations when amplifying the output of the AD9850 DDS?

Yes, anytime you are working with electronic components and amplifying signals, it is important to take proper safety precautions. This may include wearing appropriate protective gear, working with a grounded setup, and following all relevant safety guidelines. It is also important to carefully monitor and test the setup to ensure everything is functioning correctly.

5. How can I test the output power of my amplified AD9850 DDS setup?

To test the output power of your amplified AD9850 DDS setup, you can use a power meter or oscilloscope to measure the signal strength. It is important to calibrate your equipment and carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions for accurate readings. It is also recommended to test at various frequencies and power levels to ensure consistent and accurate results.