Amplitude moving through detectors

In summary, the conversation discussed a system with two thin parallel detectors and a photon passing through them. Each detector has a 10% chance of catching the photon. The final state cannot be expressed as a single state due to the multiple possibilities of the detectors detecting the photon or not.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
We have two thin parallel detectors, and a ##|1\rangle## photon state passes through them. Each detector has a 10% chance of catching the photon. How can I write the final state?

I'm thinking something like ##\sqrt{0.1}|1_A\rangle |0_B\rangle |0\rangle+\sqrt{0.09}e^{-j\theta_1}|0_A\rangle |1_B\rangle |0\rangle + \sqrt{0.81}e^{-j\theta_2}|0_A\rangle |0_B\rangle a^{\dagger}a ##

Is this correct? (If not, what is the correct way?)

About the phases ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2## , would they be the same as if the medium was lossless? To keep it simple, let's say the speed of light in the lossy medium is the same as vacuum.

But even if it is technically OK, it means that I have set the coefficients by hand, based on what I expect to see. Can it be written so that one puts in only 0.1 and the rest comes out from "shut up and calculate"? I mean, this is a toy problem, but how do we "automate" more complex stuff?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Swamp Thing said:
How can I write the final state?

You can't, because there isn't a single "final state". There are three possible "final states": detector #1 detects a photon, detector #2 detects a photon, or neither detector detects a photon. And each one only happens if the ones before it do not (e.g., if detector #1 detects a photon, there is no possibility of detector #2 detecting one). There is no way to write down a single "state" (i.e., wave function/linear combination of kets) that covers all of these possibilities (unless you want to include the detectors as quantum objects and add their states and their entanglement with the photon).

Thank you, I found that really useful.

1. What is amplitude?

Amplitude refers to the maximum displacement or distance from the equilibrium position of a wave. In other words, it measures the strength or intensity of a wave.

2. How does amplitude affect the movement of a wave?

The amplitude of a wave determines how much energy it carries. Higher amplitudes correspond to larger energy levels, which can result in more intense movements of the wave.

3. What does it mean for amplitude to move through detectors?

When a wave passes through a detector, the amplitude of the wave is measured. This can provide information about the properties of the wave, such as its frequency and energy.

4. Can amplitude change as a wave moves through detectors?

Yes, amplitude can change as a wave moves through detectors. This can be influenced by factors such as the medium the wave is traveling through, interference with other waves, and absorption or reflection by objects in the wave's path.

5. How is amplitude measured in detectors?

Amplitude can be measured in detectors using various methods, such as using a microphone to detect sound waves or using a photodetector to measure light waves. Different types of detectors may have specific mechanisms for measuring amplitude.