An aqueos solution of ##M^+X^-## from Kubo's problems book

• A
  • Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the concentrations of M+ and X- in room I and II are x1' and x1''. The equilibrium condition is (3) and the solution offered in the book is x1''=x1'+x2^0. After substituting equations (1a), (1b) and (2), x1''=x1'+x_2^0 and x2^0=0.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
My following question is from Kubo's textbook on Thermodynamics advanced problems.

I'll quote both the question and its solution in the book, and after that I'll ask my questions regarding the solution offered in the book.

Question 40:
An aqueous solution of ##M^+X^-## of concentration ##x_1^0## is poured into room I, and another solution ##M^+R^-## of concentration ##x_2^0## into the other room II, which is separated from the room I by a semi-permeable membrane permeable for ##M^+## ions and ##X^-## ions but not for ##R^-## ions.
What are the concentrations of ##M^+X^-## in room I and II, ##x_1'## and ##x_1''##, when the equilibrium (Donnan's membrane equilibrium) is reached by diffusion of ##M^+## and ##X^-## ions through the membrane?
For the sake of simplicity, assume that the solutions are very dilute, and may be regarded as ideal dilute solutions. [Hint: the solution must always be electrically neutral.]

The solution offered in the book:
According to the condition of electrical neutrality,
$$(1a)\ \ \ \ \ \ x'_{M^+}=x'_{X^-}$$
$$(1b) \ \ \ \ \ x''_{M^+}=x''_{X^-}+x_2^0 , $$

although ##M^+## and ##X^-## are exchanged between I and II.
Also the conservation laws for ##M^+## and ##X^-## require the equations:
$$(2) \ \ \ \ \ x'_{M^+}+x''_{M^+}=x_1^0 , \ \ x'_{X^-}+x''_{X^-}=x_1^0$$
On the other hand, the equilibrium condition is:
$$(3)\ \ \ \ \ \bar{G}_{M^+X^-(I)}=\bar{G}_{M^+X^-(II)}.$$
If an ideal dilute solution is assumed, the latter condition becomes:
$$(4)\ \ \ \ \ RT\log(x'_{M^+}x'_{X^-})=RT\log(x''_{M^+}x''_{X^-}),$$
or $$x'_{M^+}x'_{X^-}=x''_{M^+}x''_{X^-},$$
where equations (4.33) have been used (##\phi^0_{M^+}## and ##\phi_{X^-}^0## are the same for I and II).
Substituting equations (1a), (1b) and (2), we obtain ##(x_{X^-})^2=(x_1^0-x_{X^-}'')^2=(x_{X^-}''+x_2^0)x_{X^-}''##, and hence:
$$x_{X^-}''=\frac{(x_1^0)^2}{2x_1^0+x_2^0}$$
In the same way,
$$x_{X^-}' = \frac{x_1^0(x_1^0+x_2^0)}{2x_1^0+x_2^0}$$
or
$$x'_{X^-}/x''_{X^-}=1+x_2^0/x_1^0$$
This means that ##M^+ X^-## itself is distributed between I and II in the ratio ##x_1^0+x_2^0:x_1^0##

Now, the derivations are ok but I seem to be getting that: ##x_2^0##.
From ##(1a)-(1b),(2)## I get the following:
$$x_1^0-x_{X^-}''=x_{X^-}'=x'_{M^+}=x^0_1-x''_{M^+}=x_1^0-x''_{X^-}-x_2^0$$
from which follows that ##x_2^0=0##.

Have I done something wrong here?I don't think so...
I am confused can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a mistake in (2). x'X- + x''X- = x10, but x'M+ + x''M+ = x10 + x20
All this of course assumes that the volumes of the two chambers (we wouldn't usually say "rooms", are you translating?) are equal, which is not stated.

I am not translating, Iv'e copied from I assume a translated copy of Kubo's textbook.

1. What is an aqueous solution?

An aqueous solution is a mixture of a substance (called the solute) and water (called the solvent). The solute is dissolved in the water, resulting in a homogeneous solution.

2. What does ##M^+X^-## mean?

##M^+X^-## is a shorthand notation for an ionic compound, where M represents a positively charged ion (called a cation) and X represents a negatively charged ion (called an anion). The superscript + and - indicate the charge of the ions.

3. What is Kubo's problems book?

Kubo's problems book is a collection of mathematical and physical problems formulated by the Japanese physicist Ryogo Kubo. It covers a wide range of topics in theoretical physics, including statistical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and solid state physics.

4. How are aqueous solutions of ##M^+X^-## formed?

Aqueous solutions of ##M^+X^-## can be formed by dissolving an ionic compound in water. When the compound is mixed with water, the molecules of water surround the ions, separating them from each other and preventing them from recombining.

5. What are some examples of ##M^+X^-## compounds?

Some common examples of ##M^+X^-## compounds include sodium chloride (NaCl), calcium chloride (CaCl2), magnesium sulfate (MgSO4), and potassium nitrate (KNO3). These compounds are often used in everyday life, such as in cooking, cleaning, and medicine.