An exercise about rationalizing denominators

• Thread starter Nekomimi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, to express the fraction ##\frac{5^{\frac{1}{3}}}{5^{\frac{5}{3}}}## with a rational denominator, we can first simplify the expression to ##\frac{1}{5 \cdot 5^{\frac{1}{3}}}## and then multiply the numerator and denominator by ##5^{\frac{1}{3}}## to get the final answer of ##\frac{5^{\frac{2}{3}}}{25}##.
Nekomimi
Homework Statement
Described below.
Relevant Equations
None.
Express the following as a fraction with rational denominator: $$\frac{5^{\frac{1}{3}}}{5^{\frac{5}{3}}}$$

If I try to start by multiplicating both the numerator and denominator by ##5^{-\frac{2}{3}}##, I get:

$$\begin{align}
\nonumber \frac{5^{\frac{1}{3}}}{5^{\frac{5}{3}}} & = \frac{5^{\frac{1}{3}}}{5^{\frac{5}{3}}} \times \frac{5^{-\frac{2}{3}}}{5^{-\frac{2}{3}}} = \frac{5^{-\frac{1}{3}}}{5} \\
\end{align}$$

Which apparently makes me stuck because that negative exponent will make the radical go back to the denominator anyway, and I can't seem to get it out of there. Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I may be missing the point about rationalizing denominator, but given expression is also 5^(1/3-5/3)
= 5^(-4/3)
= 1/(5^(4/3))

Rationalizing that might be easier, involving cube root of 5. Your step here may be to use (5^(1/3)*5^(1/3))/(5^(1/3)*5^(1/3))

Nekomimi said:
Problem Statement: Described below.
Relevant Equations: None.

If I try to start by multiplicating both the numerator and denominator by ##5^{-\frac{2}{3}}##, I get:

$$\begin{align}
\nonumber \frac{5^{\frac{1}{3}}}{5^{\frac{5}{3}}} & = \frac{5^{\frac{1}{3}}}{5^{\frac{5}{3}}} \times \frac{5^{-\frac{2}{3}}}{5^{-\frac{2}{3}}} = \frac{5^{-\frac{1}{3}}}{5} \\
\end{align}$$
Here's another thought -- do some simplification first before attempting to make the denominator rational.

$$\frac{5^{1/3}}{5^{5/3}} = \frac{5^{1/3}}{5 \cdot 5^{2/3}}$$
Now multiply numerator and denominator by ##5^{1/3}## over itself.

BTW, the word is "multiplying," not multiplicating, which isn't a word in English

Mark44 said:
Here's another thought -- do some simplification first before attempting to make the denominator rational.

$$\frac{5^{1/3}}{5^{5/3}} = \frac{5^{1/3}}{5 \cdot 5^{2/3}}$$
Now multiply numerator and denominator by ##5^{1/3}## over itself.
Right, so

$$\frac{5^{1/3}}{5 \cdot 5^{2/3}} \cdot \frac{5^{\frac{1}{3}}}{5^{\frac{1}{3}}} = \frac{5^{\frac{2}{3}}}{5 \cdot 5} = \frac{5^{\frac{2}{3}}}{25}$$

Is that right?

Mark44 said:
BTW, the word is "multiplying," not multiplicating, which isn't a word in English.
I'm sorry for the mistake, English is not my first language.

Watch carefully (also because my typesetting skill is not very good) that:

5^(1/3)*5^(1/3)*5^(1/3)=5^(1/3+1/3+1/3)=5^1=5

symbolipoint said:

I don't understand where I should do that.
Was my last try incorrect?

I agree with post #3 and #4, since I just now worked the problem on paper. I did the work two different ways.

symbolipoint said:
I agree with post #3 and #4, since I just now worked the problem on paper. I did the work two different ways.
Oh, I think I get it now. Your tip was for solving it through the way I initially started with? (That is, by not simplifying ##5^{\frac{5}{3}}##.)

Well then, let's see:

$$ \frac{5^{-\frac{1}{3}}}{5} = \frac{1}{5 \cdot 5^{\frac{1}{3}}} = \frac{1}{5 \cdot 5^{\frac{1}{3}}} \cdot \frac{5^{\frac{2}{3}}}{5^{\frac{2}{3}}} = \frac{5^{\frac{2}{3}}}{25}$$

Is that right?

Nekomimi said:
I'm sorry for the mistake, English is not my first language.
Not a problem -- your English is very good. I was just letting you know for future reference.
symbolipoint said:

This would be much more readable in LaTeX. Here's the same work in a more readable form:
##5^{1/3}*5^{1/3}*5^{1/3}=5^{1/3+1/3+1/3}=5^1=5##
All I did was add a pair of # symbols at each end and replace each parenthesis with a brace --{ or }. Take a look at our LaTeX primer -- https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
Nekomimi said:
Well then, let's see:
$$ \frac{5^{-\frac{1}{3}}}{5} = \frac{1}{5 \cdot 5^{\frac{1}{3}}} = \frac{1}{5 \cdot 5^{\frac{1}{3}}} \cdot \frac{5^{\frac{2}{3}}}{5^{\frac{2}{3}}} = \frac{5^{\frac{2}{3}}}{25}$$
Yes, that's right. My only quibble is that you should start with the first fraction of the given problem, ##\frac {5^{1/3}}{5^{5/3}}##. The step you don't show above is multiplying top and bottom by ##5^{-1/3}##.

Likes SammyS
Mark44 said:
Not a problem -- your English is very good. I was just letting you know for future reference.
This would be much more readable in LaTeX. Here's the same work in a more readable form:
##5^{1/3}*5^{1/3}*5^{1/3}=5^{1/3+1/3+1/3}=5^1=5##
All I did was add a pair of # symbols at each end and replace each parenthesis with a brace --{ or }. Take a look at our LaTeX primer -- https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
Yes, that's right. My only quibble is that you should start with the first fraction of the given problem, ##\frac {5^{1/3}}{5^{5/3}}##. The step you don't show above is multiplying top and bottom by ##5^{-1/3}##.
Don't you mean multiplying by ##5^{-\frac{2}{3}}##? In any case, yes, I skipped that step because it was previously mentioned. I'll keep that in mind for the next time, though.

Since it is solved, is there a way to close this thread?

Nekomimi said:
Don't you mean multiplying by ##5^{-\frac{2}{3}}##? In any case, yes, I skipped that step because it was previously mentioned. I'll keep that in mind for the next time, though.
Maybe what I wrote wasn't exactly what I meant.
Probably the easiest approach is what I suggested in post #3:
##\frac{5^{1/3}}{5^{5/3}} = \frac {5^{1/3}}{5 \cdot 5^{2/3}}##
Now, multiply top and bottom by ##5^{1/3}## to get a denominator of 25.
Nekomimi said:
Since it is solved, is there a way to close this thread?
Not that I know of. There used to be, but we've updated to a new system that doesn't have that feature, I don't believe.

Mark44 said:
Not that I know of. There used to be, but we've updated to a new system that doesn't have that feature, I don't believe.
OK. Thank you very much, anyway!

1. What is rationalizing the denominator?

Rationalizing the denominator is the process of simplifying a fraction by removing any irrational numbers or radicals from the denominator. This is typically done by multiplying both the numerator and denominator by a suitable expression.

2. Why is it important to rationalize denominators?

Rationalizing denominators is important because it allows us to express fractions in their simplest form, making them easier to work with in mathematical operations. It also helps to eliminate any irrational numbers, which cannot be accurately represented as decimals.

3. How do you rationalize a denominator with a single radical?

To rationalize a denominator with a single radical, multiply both the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the radical. The conjugate is found by changing the sign between the terms in the radical. For example, to rationalize the denominator of √2/3, we would multiply by the conjugate √2/√2, resulting in (2√2)/6 or √2/3.

4. Can you rationalize a denominator with multiple radicals?

Yes, you can rationalize a denominator with multiple radicals by following the same process as with a single radical. First, multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the first radical, then repeat the process for each subsequent radical until there are no more radicals in the denominator.

5. Are there any instances where rationalizing denominators is not necessary?

Yes, there are some instances where rationalizing denominators is not necessary. For example, in some cases, the irrational numbers in the denominator may cancel out with a term in the numerator, resulting in a simplified fraction without the need for rationalization. Additionally, in some cases, it may be more beneficial to leave the denominator irrational, such as when working with complex numbers.