Rationalizing this fraction involving square roots

Dan. It makes sense to me now.In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for simplifying the expression (sqrt(5)+sqrt(3))(sqrt(5)+sqrt(2))/(sqrt(5)+sqrt(3)+sqrt(2)) and whether there is a more efficient way to approach the problem. The suggested method involves multiplying by a conjugate and simplifying until there are no more square roots in the denominator. Another method is suggested, but it is considered to be even more complicated. Finally, topsquark, PeroK, and Dan provide an alternative approach using a clever algebraic manipulation.
songoku
Homework Statement
Simplify:

$$\frac{\left( \sqrt{5}+\sqrt{3} \right) \left(\sqrt{5} + \sqrt{2} \right)}{\sqrt{5} + \sqrt{3} + \sqrt{2}}$$
Relevant Equations
Rationalization
I can do the question using brute force. First I multiply both the numerator and denominator by ##\sqrt{5} + \sqrt{3} - \sqrt{2}## then I simplify everything and rationalize again until no more square root in the denominator.

I want to ask if there is a trick to reduce the monstrous calculation

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Homework Statement:: Simplify:

$$\frac{\left( \sqrt{5}+\sqrt{3} \right) \left(\sqrt{5} + \sqrt{2} \right)}{\sqrt{5} + \sqrt{3} + \sqrt{2}}$$
Relevant Equations:: Rationalization

I can do the question using brute force. First I multiply both the numerator and denominator by ##\sqrt{5} + \sqrt{3} - \sqrt{2}## then I simplify everything and rationalize again until no more square root in the denominator.

I want to ask if there is a trick to reduce the monstrous calculation

Thanks
I believe you are stuck with that method. The alternate is probably even worse:
##( \sqrt{5} + \sqrt{3} + \sqrt{2} ) ( - \sqrt{5} + \sqrt{3} + \sqrt{2} ) ( \sqrt{5} - \sqrt{3} + \sqrt{2} ) ( \sqrt{5} + \sqrt{3} - \sqrt{2} ) = 24##

-Dan

Likes songoku and PeroK
If ##c = a - b##, then:
$$(\sqrt a + \sqrt b+ \sqrt c)^2 = 2(a + \sqrt{ab} + (\sqrt a + \sqrt b)\sqrt c) =2(\sqrt a + \sqrt b)(\sqrt a + \sqrt c)$$Hence:
$$\frac{(\sqrt a + \sqrt b)(\sqrt a + \sqrt c)}{\sqrt a + \sqrt b+ \sqrt c} = \frac{\sqrt a + \sqrt b+ \sqrt c}{2}$$

• Wow
Likes songoku, Steve4Physics and topsquark
Thank you very much for the help and explanation topsquark, PeroK

What is rationalizing a fraction involving square roots?

Rationalizing a fraction involving square roots means simplifying the fraction so that the denominator does not contain any square roots. This is done by multiplying the numerator and denominator by a suitable expression that will eliminate the square root in the denominator.

Why do we need to rationalize a fraction involving square roots?

Rationalizing a fraction involving square roots makes it easier to work with and simplifies the expression. It also helps in solving equations and finding equivalent forms of the expression.

How do you rationalize a fraction involving a single square root in the denominator?

To rationalize a fraction with a single square root in the denominator, we multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the square root in the denominator. This will result in a difference of squares, which can be simplified.

Can we rationalize a fraction with multiple square roots in the denominator?

Yes, we can rationalize a fraction with multiple square roots in the denominator by following the same process as with a single square root. We multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of each square root in the denominator and simplify the resulting expression.

Are there any other methods for rationalizing a fraction involving square roots?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the rationalizing factor or the rationalizing substitution. These methods may be more efficient for certain types of fractions involving square roots.