An independent Physics study, group for all levels

In summary, a group is being formed to study Classical Mechanics, Electrodynamics, and/or Quantum Mechanics at the upper level undergrad and early graduate level. This group will use a comprehensive syllabus modeled after courses taught at universities and will work through texts and problem sets at their own pace. The group will also provide a sense of camaraderie and allow for collaborative learning. Some members are also interested in studying mathematics at a similar level. However, there may be challenges with using advanced texts like Landau's without the guidance of a professor. This group is intended for those with a strong mathematical background and motivation to dive deeper into these subjects.
I'm pretty interested in this. I've recently joined PF, I'm still doing my undergrad courses but I would like to learn

Physics news on Phys.org
i'm sTudying physics in college.i'm interested in wave motion, electronics and special theory of relativity and nuclear physics

I think we might be ready to choose a pilot subject. Which of the following previously suggested (or suggest more) do all of you prefer?

1. Classical mechanics
2. Electrodynamics
3. Quantum mechanics
4. Math topics?

I will be sure to soon get in contact with all those who expressed interest. We might choose a mode of communication also.

Classical Mechanics (just because I'm taking this next semester) or any math topic (because I'm going to grad school in math) is my vote.

Uhmm.. maybe what you should do is start a poll or a vote or something, that would probably be the easiest way for us to do this.

Classical mechanics.

Geekchick said:
Classical mechanics.

I'm taking it next semester as well so I'm game for a little prep work before hand!

studious said:
I think we might be ready to choose a pilot subject. Which of the following previously suggested (or suggest more) do all of you prefer?

1. Classical mechanics
2. Electrodynamics
3. Quantum mechanics
4. Math topics?

I will be sure to soon get in contact with all those who expressed interest. We might choose a mode of communication also.

I'd like to see some modern algebra and (probably intro) analysis as math subjects.
I'd agree on all 3 physics subjects.

I'd have to think that for the study group to "last," the subjects would either have to be minimal (and somewhat broad) so that there isn't a greater number of classes than students...lol
Either that or some kind of mixture of the subjects, touching on the important (or interesting) parts of each subject.

Definitely interested in this.

definitely some intro analysis/topology for my math area.

classical mechanics for physics.

All right, it seems there is a good deal of interest in "Classical Mechanics" and various maths. Very soon, we should be sure to expand into other mentioned topics as well.

Troponin said:
I'd have to think that for the study group to "last," the subjects would either have to be minimal (and somewhat broad) so that there isn't a greater number of classes than students...lol
Either that or some kind of mixture of the subjects, touching on the important (or interesting) parts of each subject.

I am not exactly sure of what you mean, but I too hope that the study group lasts (and more so out of our common interest in the topics than superficial commitment). We can all help fine-tune our syllabuses so that the subjects'/topics' matters are proportional to each of our interest levels.

But first, perhaps we should choose a way to communicate. Do you think PF will suffice (if so, how, without annoying post bumping schemes)? Or do we want a separate mailing list, forum (can be done), etc. especially for us?

studious said:
All right, it seems there is a good deal of interest in "Classical Mechanics" and various maths. Very soon, we should be sure to expand into other mentioned topics as well.

I am not exactly sure of what you mean, but I too hope that the study group lasts (and more so out of our common interest in the topics than superficial commitment). We can all help fine-tune our syllabuses so that the subjects'/topics' matters are proportional to each of our interest levels.

But first, perhaps we should choose a way to communicate. Do you think PF will suffice (if so, how, without annoying post bumping schemes)? Or do we want a separate mailing list, forum (can be done), etc. especially for us?

I was just concerned that if we end up with a dozen different "courses," there will only be a few people that "attend" each course. In anything set up in an informal manner, people are likely to drop out.
I figured that with fewer classes, with higher interest...and/or classes that cover a broad range with some superficiality, we'd have a higher retention rate.

Just want to make sure this doesn't fade away once it gets going.

as far as correspondence goes.. I think it'd be best to have some sort of instant way to talk to each other every now and then.. maybe an IRC channel or something.

and yeah something isolated is my vote.. a mailing list or alternate forum sounds great.

I agree with Troponin about limiting the areas studied to no more than a couple. That way everyone can contribute and help each other instead of spreading ourselves too thin.

I would love electrodynamics, but it looks like everybody wants Mechanics, its fine by me anyways. As long as we see some math

I think an actual website would be better than a forum. It's too difficult to sift through pages and pages of posts.

I'm a beginner and would, therefore, be of little help, but I'm eager to learn. I'd definitely be interested in following along.

How about http://www.wetpaint.com/ ? You would just need a name for the group and it would be whatever.wetpaint.com . It is a pretty nice service. It is set up as a WYSISWG wiki, easy to edit; plus people who aren't actively participating can learn from what your post and follow along in their free time. Just an idea. You could even make wiki pages explaining what you learn about certain topics for others to read. And writing down will place the information more solidly in your own mind.

I think this is a good idea. I am afraid I am way to inexperienced to do it. I am having to start back with algebra because I forgot most everything from high school. Maybe when I catch up I can benefit from this. Reading from the same material is definitely a good idea, as you could discuss the information as you are reading and, again, place it more concretely in your minds. The best approach might be a physics of math reading group. If the book is too advanced for someone, that is where the group come in handy, by explaining the math and whatnot.

This sounds like a really good idea. Would it be for just studying, or could we help each other with theories and things like that? The forum doesn't allow one to post theoretical thoughts unless they are published, so if one were to get enough people, you might be able to get somewhere with a theory or something.

Webpaint sounds good to me.

Tagging this for future reference...I like the idea.

Suppose we already have access to significant webspace (in addition to a million free services like Google Groups). What sort of software might be most conducive to this idea?

There is a lot to choose from.

well, some sort of chat service would be good... Maybe like... I'm thinking something like an IRC server...

Have you ever messed with the "draw" application of Yahoo! Messenger? I think that would be interesting because we would be able to use it like a chalkboard and explain things. Maybe a way to share documents would be great too. And some way to have meetings. I don't know much about all this type of software, but I'm sure there's something that businesses use to have meetings online with some of their employees.