An object of some mass, m, is accelerated upwards....

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an object being accelerated upwards from the surface of the Earth and deriving a formula for the universal force of gravitation between the object and the Earth. It is noted that the gravitational force depends on the distance to the center of the Earth and not just the distance above the surface. After some discussion and clarification, it is discovered that the original formula given in the problem was incorrect due to a typo.
Vraj Patel

Homework Statement

an object of some mass, m, is accelerated upwards (from rest) off the surface off the Earth for some unknown time, t. At the end of this time, the object is traveling at some new speed, x. Derive the following formula. That is, show that no matter how much time the rocket travels for, as long as you know the speed of it in the end, the equation for the universal force of gravitation between the object and the Earth is given by:
FG = (1.6x10^15) x (m/x^2t^4)

Homework Equations

FG = (1.6x10^15) x (m/x^2t^4)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached a photo of my work, to the point that I got stuck on.
20180603_173848.jpg

Attachments

• 20180603_173848.jpg
    20180603_173848.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 313
Physics news on Phys.org
This problem doesn't quite make sense to me. Where did you get it?

(Note that the gravitational force depends on the distance to the center of the earth, not just on the distance above the surface.)

Doc Al said:
This problem doesn't quite make sense to me. Where did you get it?

(Note that the gravitational force depends on the distance to the center of the earth, not just on the distance above the surface.)

This is question I have been stuck on, in my weekly assignment. May you explain the part of the problem that doesn't make sense.

Vraj Patel said:
May you explain the part of the problem that doesn't make sense.
Plug in a few values for speed and time. If the distance traveled in that time is small, the gravitational force should equal mg. Does it?

Doc Al said:
Plug in a few values for speed and time. If the distance traveled in that time is small, the gravitational force should equal mg. Does it?

would you like me to plug it into the FG = (1.6x10^15) x (m/x^2t^4) formula.

Vraj Patel said:
would you like me to plug it into the FG = (1.6x10^15) x (m/x^2t^4) formula.
Yes.

Doc Al said:
Yes.
I am sorry for using your time, but my teacher made a typo, and I figured out the problem.

Vraj Patel said:
I am sorry for using your time, but my teacher made a typo, and I figured out the problem.
That's ok - it happens. (Hope I am not being presumptuous answering for Doc Al.)

Vraj Patel said:
No problem at all. I was leading you to plug in some values that would convince you (and your teacher!) that the given formula cannot possibly be correct. But no harm done. I'm glad your teacher found the typo.

haruspex said:
(Hope I am not being presumptuous answering for Doc Al.)
Not at all. :smile: I agree with you.

What does it mean when an object is accelerated upwards?

An object being accelerated upwards means that its velocity is increasing in the positive direction, or towards the top. This can be caused by a force acting on the object, such as gravity or a propulsion system.

What is the mass of the object being accelerated?

The mass of the object is denoted by "m" and is usually measured in kilograms. It refers to the amount of matter that the object contains and is a fundamental property of an object.

How is the acceleration of the object calculated?

The acceleration of an object can be calculated by dividing the net force acting on the object by its mass. This is known as Newton's second law of motion, which states that acceleration is directly proportional to the net force and inversely proportional to the mass of the object.

Can an object be accelerated upwards without any external force?

No, an object cannot be accelerated upwards without any external force. According to Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in a straight line at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What are some examples of objects being accelerated upwards?

Some examples of objects being accelerated upwards include a rocket launching into space, a ball being thrown in the air, and a person jumping off the ground. In all of these cases, there is a force acting on the object to cause it to accelerate upwards.