Analysis On Manifolds by James R. Munkres

In summary: I would not recommend this book to someone who has already learned multivariable calculus, unless they want to brush up on the basics.In summary, this book is a watered down version of a better book that is not necessary to take for the analysis on manifolds class I took this semester. The sections on differential forms are particularly terrible, and the problem sets are so computationally demanding that they are insulting. If you are looking for a book on analysis on submanifolds of ##\mathbb{R}^{n}##, I would recommend Lee's book on Smooth Manifolds instead. Mike himself corrected one inadequate argument involving partitions of unity in the theory of integration from his first to his second edition, so even if

For those who have used this book

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
This is the book we used for the calculus on manifolds class I took this semester. If you respect yourself one bit, you wouldn't use it. Just use Spivak's book on calculus on manifolds instead. This book waters down all the material so much that it is pretty much insulting and the problem sets are soooooooo computational (especially compared to the problem sets in Spivak's book). The sections on differential forms in Munkres are particularly terrible (seriously Munkres what do you have against well formulated rigor and theory?). There are much better books out there for analysis on submanifolds of ##\mathbb{R}^{n}##.

Better yet, since real analysis is a pre-requisitie for analysis on manifolds classes in most cases, you could just learn the necessary topology and do Lee's book on Smooth Manifolds instead.

EDIT: just to give you a taste of the computational annoyance to come if you end up getting Munkres, here is a problem from the chapter on Stokes' theorem: Let ##A = (0,1)^{2}## and ##\alpha:A\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^{3}## be given by ##\alpha(u,v) = (u,v,u^{2} + v^{2} + 1)##. Let ##Y = \alpha(A)##; compute ##\int _{Y_{\alpha}}[x_{2}dx_{2}\wedge dx_{3} + x_{1}x_{3}dx_{1}\wedge dx_{3}]## (the other problems in the chapter are pretty much the same as this one). If you like pointless computations over problems that require proofs then get the book but otherwise I would suggest you stay away from it (I mean he doesn't even write the indices in the correct place for the basis one-forms!).

Last edited:
If you really want to be like Newton, you will not be hurt by practicing computation. I also think most people will appreciate the extra explanation and examples in Munkres. I know when I taught out of Spivak to average math majors at a state school, Spivak was impenetrable to them. Munkres is writing here from years of experience trying to explain this stuff to his many students at MIT. Munkres devotes 380 pages to the topic in comparison to Spivak's 140. This will not be considered a flaw by everyone.

"Obvious" things are not always as obvious as one hopes. E.g. Mike himself corrected one inadequate argument involving partitions of unity in the theory of integration from his first to his second edition, and other subtle flaws that had escaped me have been pointed out by some analyst friends. I agree with you that I myself would probably prefer the Spivak book, but many students might benefit from the fuller version of Munkres.

Indeed after reading the preface to Munkres, I conjecture that he began by teaching from Spivak and gradually wrote his own book to fill in all the missing background he discovered in his classes over the years. This means the book can be expected to all be necessary only to the weakest member of the class, and the others are well advised to select from it what they need. Such a book can serve more people than one that is accessible only to the strongest.

I agree that Spivak is a beautiful book, intended for those who want the briefest possible treatment of the essentials of advanced calculus. (It omits however the theory of existence of solutions of differential equations, unfortunately, as does Munkres also I believe.)

Last edited:
Logged back in after a long period of inactivity solely to respond to WannabeNewton's review of this book. This is a great book for people who have just learned multivariable calculus, which I believe is the intended audience. mathwonk has already outlined its positive attributes. Spivak demands a greater level of mathematical maturity from the reader and is for a different audience even though it covers similar topics. It is not a flaw of the book if the material inside it is too easy for you, it means you're reading the wrong book.

I am familiar with the importance of analysis in understanding complex systems. The book "Analysis On Manifolds" by James R. Munkres seems like a valuable resource for anyone interested in the field of analysis on manifolds.

Munkres is a renowned mathematician and his expertise shines through in this book. The content is well-organized and covers all the necessary prerequisites for understanding the material, making it accessible for both beginners and advanced readers. The inclusion of exercises at the end of each chapter also allows for practical application and reinforcement of concepts.

What I find particularly impressive about this book is its clarity in explaining difficult concepts. Munkres has a talent for breaking down complex ideas into manageable pieces, making it easier for readers to grasp the material. The use of examples and illustrations also adds to the understanding of the topics.

Furthermore, the book covers a wide range of topics, from the basics of topology to advanced concepts such as differential forms and the Stokes' theorem. This comprehensive approach makes it a valuable reference for both students and researchers in the field.

Overall, "Analysis On Manifolds" by James R. Munkres is a highly recommended resource for anyone interested in analysis on manifolds. Its clear and concise writing, comprehensive coverage, and practical exercises make it a valuable addition to any mathematician's library.

What is the purpose of "Analysis On Manifolds" by James R. Munkres?

The purpose of "Analysis On Manifolds" is to introduce readers to the fundamental concepts and techniques of multivariable calculus and differential geometry, with a focus on manifolds. It aims to provide a rigorous and comprehensive understanding of these subjects, preparing readers for further studies in advanced mathematics or related fields.

Who is the target audience for "Analysis On Manifolds"?

The target audience for "Analysis On Manifolds" is primarily undergraduate or graduate students in mathematics, physics, engineering, or other related fields. It is also suitable for anyone with a strong background in calculus and linear algebra who is interested in learning about advanced topics in mathematics.

What are some of the key topics covered in "Analysis On Manifolds"?

Some of the key topics covered in "Analysis On Manifolds" include multivariable calculus, differential forms, Stokes' theorem, and the fundamental theorems of vector calculus. It also introduces readers to the concepts of manifolds, tangent spaces, and differential structures, as well as vector and tensor fields, Riemannian metrics, and connections on manifolds.

How does "Analysis On Manifolds" differ from other textbooks on multivariable calculus and differential geometry?

"Analysis On Manifolds" is known for its clear and concise writing style, as well as its focus on rigorous mathematical proofs and applications. It also covers a wide range of topics, including advanced topics such as the Generalized Stokes' theorem and Riemannian metrics. Additionally, it includes numerous exercises and examples to help readers develop their problem-solving skills.

What are some recommended prerequisites for studying "Analysis On Manifolds"?

Readers should have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and basic topology before studying "Analysis On Manifolds." Familiarity with real analysis and abstract algebra may also be helpful, but are not required. It is also recommended to have some prior exposure to multivariable calculus and differential equations.