Analytical expression for formation energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Molecular Dynamics to calculate the formation energy of an interstitial in FCC metal. The approach involves minimizing the perfect structure and then finding the difference in energies with a [100] dumbbell interstitial. The speaker is looking for analytical expressions for comparison, but is having trouble finding them in available resources. Suggestions are given to consult a book by Charles Kittel or seek advice from a materials physicist or chemist.
MrFrenkel
Hey folks,

I'm using Molecular Dynamics to calculate the formation energy of an interstitial in FCC metal.
Basically what I did is to minimize the perfects structure, and then find the minimized energy of the lattice with [100] dumbbell interstitial, to get the difference in energies.

I want to compare the result to analytical solution by calculating the two energies with local density dependent interaction energies, but I haven't found these expressions in Ashcroft nor Kittel.

Since I'm not a Materials Physicist\Chemist, I'm quite stuck... Does any of you know where I can find the appropriate analytical expressions ?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It sounds like you are on the right track with your approach to calculating the formation energy of an interstitial in FCC metal using Molecular Dynamics. However, I can understand your frustration in not being able to find the analytical expressions you need for comparison.

One possible resource you could try is the book "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel. It covers various aspects of solid state physics, including interstitials in metals. Another option could be to consult with a materials physicist or chemist who may have more experience and knowledge in this specific area. They may be able to point you towards the appropriate analytical expressions or provide guidance on how to obtain them.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

Related to Analytical expression for formation energy

1. What is an analytical expression for formation energy?

An analytical expression for formation energy is a mathematical equation that represents the amount of energy released or absorbed when a chemical substance is formed from its constituent elements. It takes into account the atomic energies and bonding energies of the elements involved.

2. Why is an analytical expression for formation energy important?

An analytical expression for formation energy allows scientists to predict the stability and properties of chemical substances without having to conduct experiments. It also helps in understanding the underlying energy changes that occur during chemical reactions.

3. How is an analytical expression for formation energy derived?

An analytical expression for formation energy is derived using quantum mechanics principles and mathematical techniques such as Hess's law and Born-Haber cycle. These methods involve calculating the energy changes at the atomic and molecular level to determine the overall formation energy.

4. Can an analytical expression for formation energy be used for any substance?

An analytical expression for formation energy can be used for any substance as long as the atomic and molecular energies of its constituent elements are known. However, it may not be accurate for very complex substances with many atoms and bonds.

5. How is an analytical expression for formation energy different from experimental formation energy?

An analytical expression for formation energy is a theoretical calculation based on mathematical equations, while experimental formation energy is obtained through actual measurements in a laboratory. The two values may differ slightly due to factors such as experimental errors and environmental conditions.