Analytical Mechanics: Regularity Conditions on Constraint Surface

In summary: Is that it?In summary, Newton's second law states that the force of normal reaction on a particle is equal to the mass of the particle multiplied by the acceleration due to the normal reaction.
apec45
Hi,
In my course in analytical mechanics, it is said that for a system of n particles subjected to r constraint equations, it is necessary to impose regularity conditions on the constraint surface defined by G = 0 where G is a function of the position of the position of the particles and time, the condition is that the gradient of G is non-zero on the surface G = 0.

I don't understand why we're asking this?

Thanks for your help (and sorry if i made mistakes)

Physics news on Phys.org
apec45 said:
don't understand why we're asking this?
because this condition guarantees that the equations of motion will be correct

For example if you have a particle and the constraint ##G=x^2-y^6=0## on the plane, then the particle will not know where to move from ##(0,0)##: it can move along the curve ##x=y^3## or along the curve ##x=-y^3##. In this example ##\nabla G\mid_{(0,0)}=0##

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Thanks you for the answer! but i don't understand it very well :(

First, I don't see the link between "the gradiant is zero somewhere" and "there is several ways to move the particule somewhere" (I am ok with your example but i don't see the link).

Then, i don't know what's the problem to have several ways to move the particle, for example if there was no constraints (G = 0 = 0 if i can say that), there would be infinitely many ways to move the particule (anywhere on the plane here) but i don't see the problem in this case, in fact i don't see the link with "the equation of movement has exactly one solution"

Thank you for your help!

Likes Delta2
A motion of the particle must be determined uniquely by its initial position and velocity. In my example for the initial position take (0,0) and for the initial velocity take ##\boldsymbol {e}_y##. So where will the particle move then?

Oh okey, i got it! Thank you so much! We don't know where the particule will go (x = y³ or x = -y³).

And could you give me a little bit explanation about the link with the gradiant? :) I really don't see the link with that, or maybe it is that : if G(x, y) = 0 is the equation of the surface then the particule will have, on a point (x, y) of the surface, a velocity proportional to the gradiant of G on (x, y) ? (i mean if we consider a gradiant like a vector field then if we let a particule follow the vector field, we can see its trajectory)

ps: according to me if the gradiant on a point is zero then the particule will stay there and keep that position, it doesn't seem a problem, or am i wrong?

apec45 said:
And could you give me a little bit explanation about the link with the gradiant?
Solve the following problem. A particle of mass m slides without friction on a surface ##\{f(x,y,z)=0\}##. The function ##f## is given. For simplicity assume that there is no other forces except the force of normal reaction ##\boldsymbol{N}.## Find $$\boldsymbol {N}=\boldsymbol {N}(\boldsymbol {r},\boldsymbol {\dot r}).$$
Here ##\boldsymbol r=x\boldsymbol {e}_x+ y\boldsymbol {e}_y+z\boldsymbol {e}_z## is the radius-vector of the particle in the standard inertial frame ##Oxyz##

Last edited:
Uhm, i only see that ##N = m . a## (by Newton's second law) and ##f(x, y, z) = 0## (constraint)

I also see that if i do that: ##N.t = ma.t## with## t ## tangent to the surface, i get ##a*t = 0##

1. What is Analytical Mechanics?

Analytical Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and forces, using mathematical methods and principles such as calculus, differential equations, and vector algebra.

2. What are Regularity Conditions on Constraint Surface?

Regularity Conditions on Constraint Surface refer to a set of mathematical equations that are used to ensure that the constraints placed on a system are satisfied throughout its motion. These conditions are necessary for the proper functioning of the system and are derived using the principles of Analytical Mechanics.

3. Why are Regularity Conditions important in Analytical Mechanics?

Regularity Conditions are important because they ensure that the constraints placed on a system are not violated during its motion. This is essential for accurately predicting the behavior of a system and understanding its dynamics.

4. How are Regularity Conditions derived?

Regularity Conditions are derived using the fundamental principles of Analytical Mechanics, such as the principle of virtual work and the Lagrangian formalism. These principles are applied to the constraints placed on the system to derive the necessary equations.

5. What are some applications of Regularity Conditions in real-world systems?

Regularity Conditions have various applications in fields such as engineering, robotics, and physics. They are used to analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems such as satellites, mechanical systems, and biological systems. Regularity Conditions also play a crucial role in the design and optimization of these systems.