Analytical mechanics- working with Lagrangian and holonomic constraints

ronniegertman
Homework Statement
on top of a static cylinder with a radius of R there is a cylinder with a radius of r, it is free to move, and conducts a rolling without slipping motion. When will the small cylinder detach from the larger cylinder?(R>r)
Relevant Equations
I want to solve this problem using effective potential energy. I think that since there is conservation of angular momentum, J always equals 0.
The tutor solved the problem using kinetic spinning energy though I find it very difficult and confusing to do so, therefore, I would like to know if there is a way to solve the problem using effective potential energy,
Veff = J2/(2mr2

below is a sketch of the problem
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-02 at 22.34.17.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand your problem description correctly, there is only one configuration parameter. Effective potentials appear when you use conserved quantities to rewrite a higher dimensional problem as a lower dimensional one. It is not really applicable to a problem that already has only one parameter.

It is also unclear to me why you think angular momentum would be conserved. The angular momentum of what and why would it be conserved?

Likes TSny
I am still new to this kind of material,
Orodruin said:
If I understand your problem description correctly, there is only one configuration parameter. Effective potentials appear when you use conserved quantities to rewrite a higher dimensional problem as a lower dimensional one. It is not really applicable to a problem that already has only one parameter.

It is also unclear to me why you think angular momentum would be conserved. The angular momentum of what and why would it be conserved?
I’m still quite new to such material, but I believe that the angular momentum of the top cylinder is conserved (in the center of mass point). Moreover, could you please explain what do you mean by “higher dimensional problem” and why my problem is one dimensional?

ronniegertman said:
I’m still quite new to such material, but I believe that the angular momentum of the top cylinder is conserved (in the center of mass point).
As I understand this problem, the bottom cylinder is "static" which means that it is not allowed to move in any way. The only object that moves is the top cylinder. An external torque, about the axis of contact between cylinders, is generated by gravity and acts on the top cylinder. The external torque results in angular acceleration which means that angular momentum is not conserved.

ronniegertman said:
I am still new to this kind of material,

I’m still quite new to such material, but I believe that the angular momentum of the top cylinder is conserved (in the center of mass point). Moreover, could you please explain what do you mean by “higher dimensional problem” and why my problem is one dimensional?
Your problem is one-dimensional because the configuration of the system you describe can be determined with a single parameter, eg, where along the big cylinder is the small one.

1. What is analytical mechanics and how does it differ from classical mechanics?

Analytical mechanics is a branch of theoretical physics that aims to provide a systematic and efficient method for solving problems in classical mechanics. It differs from classical mechanics in that it uses the Lagrangian formalism to derive the equations of motion, rather than Newton's laws of motion.

2. How does the Lagrangian formalism simplify the analysis of mechanical systems?

The Lagrangian formalism simplifies the analysis of mechanical systems by providing a more general and powerful framework for deriving the equations of motion. It allows us to describe the system in terms of generalized coordinates and velocities, leading to a more concise and elegant formulation of the dynamics.

3. What are holonomic constraints and how do they affect the motion of a system?

Holonomic constraints are restrictions on the motion of a system that can be expressed as equations involving the coordinates and possibly the time. These constraints restrict the possible motions of the system, leading to a reduction in the number of independent variables needed to describe the system's dynamics.

4. How do we incorporate holonomic constraints into the Lagrangian formalism?

To incorporate holonomic constraints into the Lagrangian formalism, we use Lagrange multipliers to enforce the constraints as additional terms in the Lagrangian. This allows us to account for the constraints while still using the principle of least action to derive the equations of motion.

5. What are some common examples of systems where analytical mechanics with Lagrangian and holonomic constraints is used?

Some common examples of systems where analytical mechanics with Lagrangian and holonomic constraints is used include pendulums, rigid bodies, and systems with rolling constraints. These systems often have complex dynamics that can be effectively analyzed using the Lagrangian formalism and the principles of analytical mechanics.