Analytical proof of LASER production

In summary, there is analytical proof that a photon Pe will be emitted by an excited atom Ae when another photon Pp of the same frequency is passing by Ae in LASER production. This is due to the phenomenon of stimulated emission, which was predicted by Einstein in 1916. If you want to learn more about the details of atom/photon interactions, you can refer to a book on advanced QM or Quantum Electrodynamics, such as Townsend's "A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics", or take a course like MIT's "Quantum Physics III".
SteveHowe73
TL;DR Summary
A question on the analytical proof on LASER production, perhaps using Feynmann diagram.
Is there analytical proof that a photon Pe will be emitted by an excited atom Ae when another photon Pp of the same frequency is passing by Ae in LASER production? I tried using Feynman diagram to show a high probability of this event. I failed (most likely because I am not an expert in QFT), perhaps due to my misconception that Pp does not interact with, but rather just passes by, Ae. If the proof exists (I believe it does), I would highly appreciate it if you can provide me with the citation.

Physics news on Phys.org
This should be covered in any book on advanced QM or on Quantum Electrodynamics. For instance, see section 14.7 in Townsend, A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics.

When deriving the coupling between atoms and the electromagnetic field, one finds a term ## \sqrt{n_{\mathbf{k},\lambda }+1} ## in the emission rate of the atom for a photon of wave vector ## \mathbf{ k } ## and polarization ## \lambda ##, with ## n_{ \mathbf{ k } , \lambda } ## the number of photons already in that mode. In other words, the emission rate increases with the presence of photons of the same mode in the EM field, which is what we call stimulated emission.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Likes PeroK, SteveHowe73 and berkeman
Thanks a lot.

Likes berkeman

1. What is a LASER?

A LASER (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation) is a device that produces a highly concentrated beam of light through the process of stimulated emission.

2. How is a LASER produced?

A LASER is produced by passing an intense source of light, such as a flash lamp or diode, through a material called a gain medium. The gain medium contains atoms that can be stimulated to emit photons, which then bounce back and forth between two mirrors, amplifying and aligning the light into a coherent beam.

3. What is analytical proof of LASER production?

Analytical proof of LASER production involves using mathematical equations and physical principles to demonstrate that the conditions for stimulated emission and amplification are met in the system, leading to the production of a coherent beam of light.

4. What are some common methods for analytically proving LASER production?

Some common methods for analytically proving LASER production include using rate equations to model the population of excited atoms in the gain medium, calculating the threshold for lasing based on the gain and losses in the system, and analyzing the spatial and spectral properties of the emitted light.

5. Why is analytical proof of LASER production important?

Analytical proof of LASER production is important because it allows scientists to understand and optimize the conditions for producing a stable and powerful LASER beam. It also helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of experimental results and can aid in the design and development of new LASER systems for various applications.