Analytical solution of the Photon Diffusion Equation

In summary, the student is trying to solve the photon diffusion equation without using a Monte Carlo technique. He starts by integrating the starting equation over time and then calculates the flux at any given point. He then wants to find the transmission. However, he is stuck because he does not know how to solve for the table integral or an alternative solution.
Stearge

Homework Statement

Hello, I am currently working on photon diffusion equation and trying to do it without using Monte Carlo technique.

Homework Equations

Starting equation integrated over t:
int(c*exp(-r^2/(4*D*c*t)-a*c*t)/(4*Pi*D*c*t)^(3/2), t = 0 .. infinity) (1)
Result:
sqrt(r^2/(D*c))*exp(-sqrt(a*c)*sqrt(r^2/(D*c)))*D*c^2/(4*r^2*Pi*sqrt(D^3*c^3)) (2)
Integral to find transmission:
int(exp(-sqrt(a*c*(1/(D*c)))*sqrt(x^2+y^2))/(4*Pi*D*sqrt(x^2+y^2)), x = -infinity .. infinity) (3)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have started with homogeneous solution calculating flux at a given point and a given time (1).
First, I integrated it over the time to get the time independent solution as it can be seen above. It gave me the flux at any given point independent of time (2).
The second thing I wanted to obtain from it is transmission, which I think should be obtainable by converting to Cartesian coordinates (r^2 = x^2+y^2) and integrating over x while keeping y constant (slab thickness) (3).
Here I am a bit stuck. I was trying to find table integrals or alternative solutions (I think there is a way to represent it using Bessel function). I would be very grateful if someone could help with this integral or point me towards the textbook with good derivation.

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:
## \\ ## Equation (3) looks incorrect to me. ## \\ ##Why don't you simply integrate equation (2) over ## dx dy=2 \pi r \, dr ## to get the final result?

Likes jedishrfu
Charles Link said:
:welcome:
## \\ ## Equation (3) looks incorrect to me. ## \\ ##Why don't you simply integrate equation (2) over ## dx dy=2 \pi r \, dr ## to get the final result?
Thank you for reply
I am integrating only over dx because y is thickness of the slab and I want to find number of photons on output facet.

I'll need to study it further. Usually in these Optics problems, "z" is the direction of propagation, and that is evidenced by your equation for the intensity ## I(x,y) ## as the number of photons (or energy) per unit time per unit area is symmetric in "x" and "y". Check your equation again and see if the slab thickness isn't in the "z" direction.

Likes jedishrfu

What is the Photon Diffusion Equation?

The Photon Diffusion Equation is a mathematical model used to describe the propagation of light through a medium. It is commonly used in the field of optics and photonics to analyze light scattering and absorption in materials.

Why is it important to find an analytical solution to the Photon Diffusion Equation?

Analytical solutions provide a closed-form expression for the behavior of a system, making it easier to interpret and analyze. In the case of the Photon Diffusion Equation, an analytical solution allows for a better understanding of light propagation in materials and can aid in the design of optical devices.

What are the main challenges in finding an analytical solution to the Photon Diffusion Equation?

One of the main challenges is the complexity of the equation, which involves multiple variables and parameters. Additionally, the equation is highly non-linear, making it difficult to solve using traditional methods. Another challenge is the need to consider boundary conditions and different types of materials, which can greatly affect the behavior of light.

How is the Photon Diffusion Equation solved analytically?

The most common approach is to use mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier transform, or Green's function to simplify the equation and find a closed-form solution. Additionally, numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods can also be used to approximate the solution.

What are the applications of the analytical solution of the Photon Diffusion Equation?

The analytical solution of the Photon Diffusion Equation has a wide range of applications in various fields, including biomedical optics, materials science, and photonics. It can be used to design and optimize optical devices, study light-matter interactions in biological tissues, and analyze the optical properties of different materials.