Analytical solution to integro-differential equation

In summary: LW(x).This can be solved for more complex situations, but for this problem it is sufficient to solve for f(x) using the product log function.Thanks for the input!
mbraakhekke
Hi all,

I'm trying to find an analytical solution to the following integro-differential equation:

[itex]
a f'(x)\int_0^x f(x)dx + b f'(x) + a [f(x)]^2 - a f(x) = 0
[/itex]

with initial condition:
[itex]
f(0)=1
[/itex]

This is a simplified problem for which I know the solution: [itex]f(x)=1[/itex].
I'm trying to find a general method to solve this equation that I can use for more complex problems. The main difficulty is the product of the differential and the integral.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Integral transforms (e.g. Laplace) seem to be the general way to tackle integro-differential equations but I'm not sure how to apply those here.

Many thanks in advance,
Maarten

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure that this can be solved analytically. One thing you can try is dividing with f'(x) (assuming it's not zero) and then differentiating (the other case, f'(x)=0, makes your job very easy). That will get rid of the integral, but although the expression you get is not really easy to work with, it's reduced to a second order differential equation.

Hi !
There are two obvious solutions f(x)=0 and f(x)=1.
In order to show that there are no other solution, let :
[itex]F(x)=\int_0^x f(x)dx[/itex]
Then, bring back F(x), f(x)=F'(x) and f'(x)=F''(x) into the ODE
This leads to a second order ODE, rather easy to solve, thanks to the conditions F'(0)=f(0)=1 and F(0)=0.

mbraakhekke said:
Integral transforms (e.g. Laplace) seem to be the general way to tackle integro-differential equations but I'm not sure how to apply those here.

Integral transforms are typically only useful for linear equations. This equation is nonlinear, so the typical integral transforms are not likely to work at all. (The laplace transform won't).

JJacquelin said:
Hi !
There are two obvious solutions f(x)=0 and f(x)=1.
In order to show that there are no other solution, let :
[itex]F(x)=\int_0^x f(x)dx[/itex]
Then, bring back F(x), f(x)=F'(x) and f'(x)=F''(x) into the ODE
This leads to a second order ODE, rather easy to solve, thanks to the conditions F'(0)=f(0)=1 and F(0)=0.

This is what I would do.

So, I suppose that you did it.

Attachments

• ODE.JPG
    ODE.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 506
Thanks to all for your suggestions.

@JJacquelin: your derivation is very helpful.
The remaining equation without the boundary conditions:
[itex]
(F'(x)-1)(F(x)+k)=C
[/itex]
should be also solvable for more complex situations. Mathematica delivers a general solution in terms of the Lambert W (product log) function.
Anyway, this is something I can work with.

Thanks again,
Maarten

Hello !

I agree. Without the boundary conditions, the general solution f(x) involves the Lambert-W function :

Attachments

• Without condition.JPG
    Without condition.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 501

Related to Analytical solution to integro-differential equation

1. What is an integro-differential equation?

An integro-differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves both derivatives and integrals. It is commonly used to model physical systems that involve both continuous and discrete changes over time or space.

2. What is an analytical solution?

An analytical solution to an integro-differential equation is a closed-form solution that can be expressed in terms of known functions, such as polynomials, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions. It allows for a precise and exact solution to the equation without the need for numerical approximation.

3. How is an analytical solution to an integro-differential equation obtained?

An analytical solution to an integro-differential equation is obtained by applying mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, Laplace transforms, or Fourier transforms, to transform the equation into a simpler form that can be solved using known methods.

4. What are the advantages of using an analytical solution to an integro-differential equation?

Analytical solutions provide a deeper understanding of the behavior of a system described by the equation, as they allow for the explicit calculation of the solution at any given point. They also tend to be more efficient and accurate than numerical methods, particularly for small or simple systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using an analytical solution to an integro-differential equation?

Yes, analytical solutions are only possible for a limited number of equations. In most cases, the equation must be linear and have a simple form for an analytical solution to be obtained. Additionally, the calculation of the solution may be complex and time-consuming, requiring advanced mathematical skills and techniques.