Analytical Solutions for 1D Transient Heat Conduction in Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, the author has written a numerical code to solve the 1D heat equation in cyclindrical coordinates. The problem he is considering is a hollow cylinder in an infinite boundary, i.e. an underground tunnel surrounded by earth. All he wants to do is verify that his code is working correctly, so he wants to find the simplest analytical solution for 1D transient heat conduction using the simplest boundary condition, i.e. constant values. Unfortunately, from his research he hasn't found an equivalent for cyclindrical coordinates. However, he has found a solution in Carslaw and Jaegar.
ads.
Hi, I have written a numerical code to solve the 1D heat equation in cyclindrical coordinates:

[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}=\kappa\left(\frac{\partial^{2}T}{\partial r^{2}}+\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\right)[/tex]

The problem I'm considering is a hollow cylinder in an infinite boundary, i.e. an underground tunnel surrounded by earth. All I want to do is verify that my code is working correctly so to do this I want to find the simplest analytical solution for 1D transient heat conduction using the simplest boundary condition, i.e. constant values. Now if this was in cartesian coordinates I would simply compare it with the solution for a semi infinite approximation. Unfortunately from my research I haven't found an equivalent for cyclindrical coordinates.

I may be missing some here so does anybody have ideas for a simple analytical solution? Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
ads. said:
Hi, I have written a numerical code to solve the 1D heat equation in cyclindrical coordinates:

[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}=\kappa\left(\frac{\partial^{2}T}{\partial r^{2}}+\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\right)[/tex]

The problem I'm considering is a hollow cylinder in an infinite boundary, i.e. an underground tunnel surrounded by earth. All I want to do is verify that my code is working correctly so to do this I want to find the simplest analytical solution for 1D transient heat conduction using the simplest boundary condition, i.e. constant values. Now if this was in cartesian coordinates I would simply compare it with the solution for a semi infinite approximation. Unfortunately from my research I haven't found an equivalent for cyclindrical coordinates.

I may be missing some here so does anybody have ideas for a simple analytical solution? Thanks.

I'm not sure you got the equation right: if you are considering hollow cylinder, than r isn't variable of temperature, but a fixed quantity (radius of your pipe) . In an angle-independent case, you should have equation for T (z, t) rather than T (r, t) . Setting situation like that, hollow cylinder shouldn't be unlike standard, exactly solvable 1D case.

Sorry, maybe my description isn't quite clear enough. Essentially I'm considering an infinitely long cyclinder, such that I'm only considering temperature changes in the radial direction which is assumed independent of [tex]\theta[/tex] and z. Therefore the 1D governing equation still holds, but the boundary conditions change. It's this bit that I am having trouble with.

In the end I have found a solution in Carslaw and Jaegar but I'm not sure whether it is correct.

ads. said:
Sorry, maybe my description isn't quite clear enough. Essentially I'm considering an infinitely long cyclinder, such that I'm only considering temperature changes in the radial direction which is assumed independent of [tex]\theta[/tex] and z. Therefore the 1D governing equation still holds, but the boundary conditions change. It's this bit that I am having trouble with.

In the end I have found a solution in Carslaw and Jaegar but I'm not sure whether it is correct.

Ok than, you confused me mentioning hollow cylinder in opening post - obviously cylinder needs to be solid to consider radial heat conduction. You did get your equation right and general solutions would be linear combination of modified Bessel function of 0th order (because it is angle independent) and Neumann modified functions, it seems. Considering your boundary conditions, where temperature at r = 0 being finite, Neumann's function need not to be considered (they diverge at r = 0) , so all you need is to scale Bessel's functions. But take this cum grano salis, I'm not sure my memory is good on that one :) Good luck!

1. What is 1D transient heat conduction?

1D transient heat conduction is a process in which heat is transferred through a material in one direction (usually along the x-axis) over time. It occurs when there is a temperature difference between two points in a material, and the heat flows from the hotter point to the cooler point until thermal equilibrium is reached.

2. How is 1D transient heat conduction different from steady-state heat conduction?

Steady-state heat conduction is a process in which the temperature of a material remains constant over time, while in 1D transient heat conduction, the temperature changes with time. In steady-state heat conduction, the temperature gradient (change in temperature over distance) is constant, while in 1D transient heat conduction, the temperature gradient changes with time.

3. What factors affect 1D transient heat conduction?

The rate of heat transfer in 1D transient heat conduction is influenced by several factors, including the material's thermal conductivity, the temperature difference between the two points, the material's thickness, and the time duration of heat transfer.

4. How is 1D transient heat conduction calculated?

The rate of heat transfer in 1D transient heat conduction can be calculated using Fourier's law, which states that the rate of heat transfer is proportional to the temperature gradient and the material's thermal conductivity. This equation can be solved using numerical methods or analytical solutions, depending on the complexity of the problem.

5. What are some practical applications of 1D transient heat conduction?

1D transient heat conduction is a crucial concept in many engineering and scientific fields, including materials processing, heat exchangers, and building insulation. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of materials under varying thermal conditions, such as during welding or cooling processes.