Analyzing False Statements about Orbitals

• Thread starter a.a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbitals
In summary, the conversation discusses the identification of false statements among five different statements regarding p and d orbitals. The speaker mentions being able to understand most of the statements but having trouble with some and seeks clarification. After further research, the speaker believes that only statements b and c are false and asks for confirmation from others.
a.a
I was able to work through most of them myself but am haveing problems with the following, for some I simply don't understand the statement it self. Any help appericiated.
Pick the false statements out of the following:

a. Different p orbitals with the same value of the principal quantum number have different orientations in space.
b. Only three different orientations are possible for 3d orbitals.
c. A dxy orbital has maximum electron density along the x and y axes directions.
d. For the hydrogen atom, a 3d orbital is of higher energy than a 4s orbital.
e. For helium atom, a 3d electron is of higher energy than a 3s electron.

I think b, c, and d are false, but am very unsure.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just read-up on the topic a bit more, I now think that only b and c are false. Can someone pleasr verify?

I can confirm that b, c, and d are indeed false statements. Let me explain why:

a. This statement is true. Different p orbitals with the same principal quantum number (n) have different orientations in space. This is because the p orbital has three different sublevels (px, py, and pz) which correspond to the three different directions in space.

b. This statement is false. There are actually five different orientations possible for 3d orbitals, not just three. These include dxy, dyz, dzx, dx2-y2, and dz2.

c. This statement is also false. A dxy orbital does not have maximum electron density along the x and y axes directions. Instead, it has two lobes that are directed between the x and y axes.

d. This statement is false. In the hydrogen atom, a 3d orbital is actually of lower energy than a 4s orbital. This is due to the different shapes and orientations of these orbitals.

e. This statement is true. For helium atom, a 3d electron is indeed of higher energy than a 3s electron. This is because the 3d orbital is a higher energy sublevel than the 3s orbital.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify any confusion you may have had about these statements. It's important to carefully examine and understand statements about orbitals, as they play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules.

Related to Analyzing False Statements about Orbitals

1. What are orbitals?

Orbitals are regions of space around an atomic nucleus where there is a high probability of finding an electron. They describe the three-dimensional properties of an electron's motion in an atom.

2. Why is it important to analyze false statements about orbitals?

It is important to analyze false statements about orbitals because a clear understanding of orbitals is crucial for understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules. False statements can lead to misconceptions and hinder scientific progress.

3. How can one identify false statements about orbitals?

One can identify false statements about orbitals by checking if they are consistent with existing scientific evidence and theories. Additionally, false statements may contradict known principles and properties of orbitals.

4. Can false statements about orbitals impact experimental results?

Yes, false statements about orbitals can impact experimental results. If one's understanding of orbitals is based on false statements, it can lead to inaccurate interpretations of experiments and misleading conclusions.

5. How can one correct false statements about orbitals?

One can correct false statements about orbitals by seeking out reliable sources of information, such as scientific journals and reputable textbooks. It is also important to critically evaluate and analyze information before accepting it as true.