Analyzing Frictional Forces in a Man and Bicycle System on an Inclined Road

In summary, a man is riding his bicycle up a 5 percent road at a constant speed. The total mass of the man and bicycle is 90 kg and the mass center is at G. The direction of frictional forces is upward and the normal forces can be calculated using Fy=0 Nf +Nr =G and Fx=0. The normal force in the front wheel can be neglected due to the constant speed, but it is unclear if the same applies to the back wheel.
Lalaland

Homework Statement

A man deals his bicycle up a 5 percent road at constant speed. Man+bicycle mass=90 kg with mass centre G. 1)Access direction of frictional forces 2) explain why frinctional force in front wheel can be neglected having a const. speed taking front wheel as FBD 3) Find normal forces

Homework Equations

Fy=0 Nf +Nr =G
Fx=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Direction is upward
Fy=0 Nf +Nr =G
Fx=0
M= 0. 0.46G= 1.08Nf.
Nf= 375.67N

Now I don't know how to show that friction in front wheel can be neglected

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 583
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not 100% sure, maybe someone else can pitch in, but:

The normal forces in the front wheel can be neglected because F = ma and since the front wheel is at a const. speed, a = 0 which implies summation of Fx = 0. Therefore friction force must be zero.

This should also apply to the back wheel, ( but I'm not entirely sure if it will have a=0 since it is connected to a gear...)

Also, your calculations are unclear to me in (3), so I can't provide feedback there.

1. What is biomechanics statics problem?

Biomechanics statics problem is a branch of biomechanics that studies the effects of external forces on the human body at rest or in a state of constant motion. It involves analyzing the equilibrium of forces and torques acting on different body segments and joints.

2. How is biomechanics statics problem useful?

Biomechanics statics problem is useful in understanding the mechanical behavior of the human body, such as how muscles, bones, and joints work together to produce movement. It can also help in identifying potential injury risks and improving athletic performance.

3. What types of problems can be solved using biomechanics statics?

Biomechanics statics can be used to solve problems related to human movement, such as determining the force required to lift an object, analyzing the forces acting on the knee during running, or calculating the torque needed to perform a certain movement.

4. What are some key principles of biomechanics statics?

Some key principles of biomechanics statics include the laws of motion, the concept of center of mass, and the principles of torque and equilibrium. It also involves understanding the different types of forces, such as compression, tension, shear, and bending.

5. How can biomechanics statics be applied in real life?

Biomechanics statics has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as sports science, physical therapy, and ergonomics. It can be used to analyze and improve athletic performance, design ergonomic products, and develop rehabilitation programs for injuries or disabilities.