Analyzing open steady flow systems with SFEE vs. Rankine cycle analysis

In summary: In SFEE, we know dH = Q - W, in Rankine cycle, it seems dU=Q-W. Is that right?Yes. For each individual piece of equipment in the Rankine cycle, ##\Delta H=Q-W_s##Yes. For each individual piece of equipment.
physea
Hello
I have a point that I don't understand.

In open steady flow systems, we use SFEE, where there's a term W in addition to a term PV, which are different things.

When we analyse a cycle like Rankine, we always consider either W or PV, but not both. I also think that W=PdV always.

Why that difference? Do we consider cycles to be close systems?

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally the term "steady flow system" is applied to some single constraining structure like a compressor, a nozzle and so.
If there is work with this system it is by shaft, impellor and so. There would be pdV work only if and as the system enlarged (rare system that is).

The term Rankine applies to a cyclic forward (power-producing) device. [Heat to the system, conversion of some to work then heat out].
Cyclic reverse engine is heat at low temperature to cycle, work to the cycle then heat out at higher temperature (refrigerator or heat pump). Also Rankine addresses the entire cycle which has components linked in a cycle. Cycles as closed systems? Overall yes, but in calculations, to establish the overall one must go component to component.

SirCurmudgeon said:
Generally the term "steady flow system" is applied to some single constraining structure like a compressor, a nozzle and so.
If there is work with this system it is by shaft, impellor and so. There would be pdV work only if and as the system enlarged (rare system that is).

The term Rankine applies to a cyclic forward (power-producing) device. [Heat to the system, conversion of some to work then heat out].
Cyclic reverse engine is heat at low temperature to cycle, work to the cycle then heat out at higher temperature (refrigerator or heat pump). Also Rankine addresses the entire cycle which has components linked in a cycle. Cycles as closed systems? Overall yes, but in calculations, to establish the overall one must go component to component.

Not sure if you address my question, you include general information and your answer is not clear.

physea said:
Hello
I have a point that I don't understand.

In open steady flow systems, we use SFEE, where there's a term W in addition to a term PV, which are different things.

When we analyse a cycle like Rankine, we always consider either W or PV, but not both. I also think that W=PdV always.

Why that difference? Do we consider cycles to be close systems?
When you analyze Rankine (or other power cycle) using SFEE, each individual piece of equipment has its own shaft work and its own ##\Delta (PV)##. The ##\Delta (PV)## is included in the enthalpy term. Over the entire cycle (including all pieces of equipment), the sum of the ##\Delta (PV)##s is equal to zero, and you are left only with the shaft work. You are aware that the sum of the shaft work plus the ##\Delta (PV)## for a particular piece of equipment add up to the rate of doing PdV work for that piece of equipment, right? If not, go back and study the derivation of the SFEE.

In SFEE, I know that d(PV) is the flow energy, in other words the pressure energy that is responsible for the flow of the fluid.

In Rankine cycle analysis (or other cycles) do we consider that flow energy? Or we only consider the Q, W, U?

In SFEE, we know dH = Q - W, in Rankine cycle, it seems dU=Q-W. Is that right?

physea said:
In SFEE, I know that d(PV) is the flow energy, in other words the pressure energy that is responsible for the flow of the fluid.

In Rankine cycle analysis (or other cycles) do we consider that flow energy?
Yes. For each individual piece of equipment.
Or we only consider the Q, W, U?
No. For each individual piece of equipment, we consider Q, Ws, and H, where Ws is the shaft work. For the overall cycle, ##\Delta H=\Delta U=0##
In SFEE, we know dH = Q - W, in Rankine cycle, it seems dU=Q-W. Is that right?
No. For each individual piece of equipment in the Rankine cycle, ##\Delta H=Q-W_s##

Chestermiller said:
Yes. For each individual piece of equipment.

No. For each individual piece of equipment, we consider Q, Ws, and H, where Ws is the shaft work. For the overall cycle, ##\Delta H=\Delta U=0##
No. For each individual piece of equipment in the Rankine cycle, ##\Delta H=Q-W_s##

But what you say contradicts with the equations here:
https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Physical_Chemistry/Thermodynamic_Processes_for_an_Ideal_Gas
In that table it says dU=Q-W and not dH=Q-W.

Chestermiller said:
Those equations are for a closed system, not an open system (like the equipment used in the Rankine cycle, where mass is flowing in and out). Are you not familiar with the open system (control volume) version of the first law of thermodynamics?
Yes I know that closed systems have no mass flow. But I don't know which equations we should use when analysing cycles.

physea said:
Yes I know that closed systems have no mass flow. But I don't know which equations we should use when analysing cycles.
For cycles, the version of the first law you use depends on whether each piece of equipment is an open system or a closed system.

1. How do you define an open steady flow system?

An open steady flow system is a thermodynamic system in which mass and energy can flow in and out, and the system remains in a steady state. This means that the properties of the system, such as temperature and pressure, do not change over time.

2. What is the SFEE method of analyzing open steady flow systems?

SFEE stands for the Steady Flow Energy Equation, which is a fundamental principle of thermodynamics that states that the change in energy of a system is equal to the difference between the energy entering and leaving the system, plus the work done on or by the system.

3. How does SFEE analysis differ from Rankine cycle analysis?

SFEE analysis is a general method that can be applied to any open steady flow system, while Rankine cycle analysis is specifically used for analyzing thermodynamic cycles, such as the ideal Rankine cycle used in steam power plants.

4. What are the advantages of using SFEE over Rankine cycle analysis?

SFEE analysis allows for a more comprehensive and accurate examination of open steady flow systems, as it takes into account all forms of energy transfer, including heat, work, and mass flow. It also does not rely on specific assumptions or idealized conditions, making it a more versatile tool for analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to using SFEE for analyzing open steady flow systems?

One limitation of SFEE analysis is that it can be more complex and time-consuming compared to other methods, such as Rankine cycle analysis. It also requires a good understanding of thermodynamics principles and equations. Additionally, it may not be suitable for systems with highly complex or turbulent flow.