And who is your Swords+Sorcery or Fantasy character?

• Thread starter strangerep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fantasy
In summary, Greg started 2 threads about which sci-fi and fantasy universe you'd like to live in. Yet (curiously) I only see one thread about favorite sci-fi characters. So...It seems that people are more interested in discussing favorite sci-fi characters than favorite sci-fi universes. Greg's favorite character from a Swords+Sorcery or Fantasy mythos is The Grey Mouser, while his favorite character from a modern mythos is Faith.
James Holland said:
Excalibur was a sword.
Yes, that's right. The other two are also weapons, not the knights.
Khatti said:
Gungnir is Norse, it is also probably a mythic sword
Gungnir is Odin's spear.

Likes James Holland
Physics news on Phys.org
blue_leaf77 said:
Gungnir is Odin's spear

Sigh. My ancestors, all of whom are either Scandinavian or German, are rolling in their graves.

Likes James Holland
Kane, the sword-wielding sorcerer anti-hero from the books written by Karl Edward Wagner.

After hacking Wolverine to pieces (because his Carsultyal-forged sword was that good), he would have had the last laugh in any Chuck Norris joke!

Likes James Holland
Karl Kolchak

Those of you, of 'a certain age' certainly remember the character played brilliantly by Darren McGavin for less than a full season, but rerun for many years subsequently in late night reruns. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolchak:_The_Night_Stalker

diogenesNY

My all time sci fi character is Corum from the Chronicles of Corum by Michael Moorcock
strangerep said:
Greg started 2 threads about which sci-fi and fantasy universe you'd like to live in. Yet (curiously) I only see one thread about favorite sci-fi characters. So...

Who is your favorite character from a Swords+Sorcery or Fantasy mythos?

My "ancient mythos" choice is: The Grey Mouser. (Can you guess why? :biggrin:)

My "modern mythos" choice is: Faith.

Curiously, one of Joss Whedon's favorite scenes in Angel is also mine. Guess which one?
(Although Spike wasn't my favorite character, James Marsters is far and away my favorite actor. His ability to portray totally different character types is brilliant -- he's like a modern Alec Guiness.)

byteme90k said:
My all time sci fi character is Corum from the Chronicles of Corum by Michael Moorcock
Hmm, that name sounded familiar, but I couldn't place it. Then I realized it was because I've only read a little of Moorcock's other work involving Elric+Stormbringer. :nb)

Geez, that's a loooong time ago. :rolleyes:

Likes James Holland
strangerep said:

Time flies when you're having fun!:wink:

Likes James Holland
strangerep said:
Hmm, that name sounded familiar, but I couldn't place it. Then I realized it was because I've only read a little of Moorcock's other work involving Elric+Stormbringer. :nb)

well...I am old, relatively speaking! nudge, nudge, wink, wink

Likes James Holland
byteme90k said:
well...I am old, relatively speaking! nudge, nudge, wink, wink

If it weren't for the cane you carry you wouldn't be able to catch girls at all anymore! ?:)

Likes James Holland
Khatti said:
If it weren't for the cane you carry you wouldn't be able to catch girls at all anymore! ?:)
oldmancane.gif

Likes Battlemage!
I like the three musketeers by Dumas. Great characters. No sorcery, but at least it has swords.

Likes James Holland
Evo said:
Pug in Magician Apprentice/Riftwar series

Caramon and Raistlin Majere in Dragonlance series
Lol this is almost EXACTLY mine! Although I like Thomas/Ashen-Shugar and Jimmy the Hand as well.

But Pug and Raistlin are my two main favorites by far.

Likes James Holland
For me it'd be...
Elric - Elric Of Melniboné - Michael Moorcock
Space Marines (prefer Salamanders Chapter) - Warhammer 40k
Harry Keogh - Necroscope - Brian Lumley
Druss - Legend - David Gemmel

Just a few off top of ma head, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Corwin of Amber.