Angle between vectors via scalar product vs vector product

In summary, the conversation discusses the method of determining the angle between two vectors using their cross product. The speaker initially tries to use the vector product method but realizes that the scalar product method is more suitable for this problem, as it always gives an angle between 0 and 180 degrees. They also note that the arc sin function on calculators may return a value between -90 and 90 degrees, so it is important to double check the angle obtained.
andylatham82
Hello, I have a question about why I can't determine the angle between two vectors using their cross product.

Say there are two vectors in the XY-plane that we want to find the angle between:

A = -2.00i + 6.00j
B
= 2.00i - 3.00j

The method to do this would be to work out the scalar product of the vectors, calculate the magnitude of each vector, and use these to determine the angle via this relationship:

AB = AB cos ∅

In the example above, this gives a correct angle of 165°.

However, I feel like it should be possible to arrive at the same answer using a vector product method instead. So I tried calculating the vector product, and used it with the calculated magnitudes of the vectors and the following relationship:

AXB = AB sin Φ

However, using this method results in an angle of 15.3°.

I must be missing something in the way all of this works and wondered if anyone could provide me with the knowledge I'm missing!

Thanks!
Andy

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is because ##\sin(180^\circ - \theta) = \sin(\theta)##. The arc sin on your calculator usually returns a value between -90° and 90°, so you have to check if the angle you get is the correct one, or if you have to take ##180^\circ - \theta##.

Likes jedishrfu and andylatham82
DrClaude said:
It is because ##\sin(180^\circ - \theta) = \sin(\theta)##. The arc sin on your calculator usually returns a value between -90° and 90°, so you have to check if the angle you get is the correct one, or if you have to take ##180^\circ - \theta##.

Ahh of course! That's solved the mystery! Thanks a lot DrClaude :)

And since the angle between two vectors always lies between 0 and 180 degrees, but not always between -90 and 90 degrees, the scalar product is more suitable than the vector product for this type of problem.

1. What is the difference between the angle between vectors calculated using scalar product and vector product?

The angle between vectors calculated using scalar product, also known as the dot product, gives the angle between two vectors in terms of the magnitudes of the vectors and the cosine of the angle. On the other hand, the angle between vectors calculated using vector product, also known as the cross product, gives the angle between two vectors in terms of the magnitudes of the vectors and the sine of the angle.

2. Which method should I use to calculate the angle between vectors?

The method you should use depends on what information you have about the vectors. If you have the components of the vectors, then you can use the dot product formula to calculate the angle between them. If you have the magnitudes of the vectors and the angle between them, then you can use the cross product formula to calculate the angle between them.

3. Can the angle between two vectors be negative?

No, the angle between two vectors is always positive. The dot product and cross product formulas always give a positive value for the angle between vectors.

4. What is the range of values for the angle between vectors?

The angle between vectors can range from 0° to 180°. This means that the vectors can be either parallel (0°) or anti-parallel (180°), or anywhere in between.

5. How can I use the angle between vectors to determine if they are perpendicular?

If the angle between two vectors is 90°, then they are perpendicular. This can be determined by calculating the dot product or cross product of the vectors and seeing if the result is equal to 0. If it is, then the vectors are perpendicular.