Left or Right Angles ( + or - ) of adjoining vectors

In summary, the angle between the red vector and the blue vector is positive if the product of the two vectors is greater than 0 and negative if the product of the two vectors is less than 0.
BrentK
Hi there,
I have another one for you (Blush)

How can I efficiently determine if the angle between 2 vectors is positive or negative...
Take a look at this example drawing:

View attachment 8685

Known are the xy coordinates of 2 adjoining vectors, (I also have calcullated the 360 deg angle relative to the x-axis if that is a help ... shown with grey arrows on the drawing)
In the drawing the leading vector (Red) as adjoined to either a vector giving a positive or (left) angle, or a vector in the negative direction (right) angle.

I need to be able to calculate if the adjoining vector is a positive or negative angle in relation to the leading vector... sounds simple right? and proabably is, but I just don't seem to be able to get it right with all different vector direction possibilities

The formula should calculate all possibilites of two adjoining vectors, so e.g. could also be heading in the opposite direction where x1y1 is less than x0y0... hope you understand what i mean :)

Look forward to any help yo may be able to provide.
Many thanks, This forum has been a great help to me!

Attachments

• Unbenannt.JPG
    Unbenannt.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 69
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Start with the red vector, which is $\begin{bmatrix}x_1-x_0 \\ y_1-y_0\end{bmatrix}$. If you rotate it "to the left" (in other words, anticlockwise) by $90^\circ$ then it becomes $\begin{bmatrix}y_0-y_1 \\x_1-x_0\end{bmatrix}$. You want to know whether the inner product of that vector with the blue vector $\begin{bmatrix}x_2-x_1 \\ y_2-y_1\end{bmatrix}$ is positive. So the condition you need is $$x_0(y_1-y_2) + x_1(y_2-y_0) + x_2(y_0-y_1) > 0 \quad \text{for "left",}$$ $$x_0(y_1-y_2) + x_1(y_2-y_0) + x_2(y_0-y_1) < 0 \quad \text{for "right".}$$

Thanks again Oplag!
That worked fine...
Now I have found a new challenge... If you are willing,I'd appreciate you take a look at my new post.

I really appreciate your help. I'm not that great at Maths...I'm trying hard and learning, but this task is very hard for me! Without you and the help of others on this forum, I'd be totaly lost!

1. What are left and right angles of adjoining vectors?

Left and right angles refer to the direction of rotation between two adjoining vectors. A left angle (represented by a negative sign) indicates a counterclockwise rotation, while a right angle (represented by a positive sign) indicates a clockwise rotation.

2. How do you determine the angle between two adjoining vectors?

The angle between two adjoining vectors can be determined by taking the dot product of the two vectors and dividing it by the product of their magnitudes. This will give you the cosine of the angle, which can then be converted to degrees or radians depending on the desired unit of measurement.

3. What is the purpose of determining the left or right angle of adjoining vectors?

Determining the left or right angle of adjoining vectors is important in understanding the relative orientation and direction of two vectors. It can also be useful in calculating the overall rotation of multiple vectors in a system.

4. Can the left or right angle of adjoining vectors be negative?

Yes, the left or right angle of adjoining vectors can be negative. This indicates a counterclockwise or clockwise rotation, respectively, but in the opposite direction. For example, a left angle of -90 degrees is equivalent to a right angle of 270 degrees.

5. How does the direction of adjoining vectors affect their left or right angle?

The direction of adjoining vectors does not affect their left or right angle. The angle is determined solely by the relative orientation of the vectors and the direction of rotation between them.