Angle Estimation in Non-Doppler Radar Imaging: Exploring the Role of Phase

In summary, Bobbywhy is trying to determine the angle of a target by using a 2d signal and he is looking for sources of information.
Wapochief
Hey all,

I am brand new to the world of signal processing and radar, but I am trying to simulate a non-doppler imaging radar using pulses. I understand most of the concepts, including steering vectors and measuring distance by the time delay of a radar pulse. I am using a stationary antenna. I don't understand how to get the angle of the target from a 2d signal! I realize it probably has to do with phase, but I am unable to find anything on the subject.

Anyone have some sources or insight?

Thanks,
Wapochief

Engineering news on Phys.org
Wapochief, If you already understand beam steering vectors for transmitting a radar pulse with a fixed antenna, then determining the angle of the target is basically just the reverse. Have you done a Google search using the terms "phased array radar"? I am fairly certain the answer to your question will be found there. If not, do come right back here and post your specific question.

Hi Bobbywhy,

So suppose I only have one TX and one RX antenna - both stationary, near each other and pointed in the same direction. From my understanding, the steering vectors are just 1 for each. But how do I get the angle of the target? I am trying to create an Angle/Range map.

Thanks

Wapochief said:
Hi Bobbywhy,

So suppose I only have one TX and one RX antenna - both stationary, near each other and pointed in the same direction. From my understanding, the steering vectors are just 1 for each. But how do I get the angle of the target? I am trying to create an Angle/Range map.

Thanks

If you only have one set of TX/RX antennas, you steer them mechanically. To steer electrically with phasing, you need a 2-d array of antennas.

Wapochief said:
Hi Bobbywhy,

Thanks

Using the Google search terms “radar phased array beamformer time domain” this appeared and, hopefully, it will provide the answer(s) you want:

“In order to search across the area of interest, the (radar parabolic) antenna must mechanically be aimed or rotated to steer its beam in the desired direction.

In many military applications, this function is often performed electronically, using active electronically scanned array (AESA), which is an electronically steerable antenna. This allows very rapid steering of the radar beam, which is particularly useful for military airborne radars. This technique is known as “beamforming”, which references the electronic steering of the main antenna lobe or beam.

An AESA is built from many small antennas or individual elements. Each antenna element has a transmit and a receive module. Therefore, each element can individually vary the phase and amplitude of both receive and transmit signals. These changes, particularly in phase, provide for steerable directivity of the antenna beam over both azimuth and elevation. Only when the receive signal arrives in-phase across all the antenna elements will the maximum signal be received. This provides the ability to “aim” the main lobe of the antenna in a desired direction. The process is reciprocal, meaning that the same antenna lobe pattern will exist on both receive and transmit (assuming common frequency for receive and transmit)."

http://www.eetimes.com/design/progr...t-3--Beamforming-and-radar-digital-processing

Further information can be found here:

http://www.radartutorial.eu/06.antennas/an14.en.html
http://www.radartutorial.eu/06.antennas/an15.en.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phased_array

Thanks,

I spent the day reading and studying this and I am closer to understanding. I'll post back if I have any more questions.

Related to Angle Estimation in Non-Doppler Radar Imaging: Exploring the Role of Phase

What is radar imaging?

Radar imaging is a technique used to create images of objects or landscapes by using radio waves. These radio waves are transmitted and then reflected back to the radar system, allowing for the creation of a visual representation of the target.

How does radar imaging work?

Radar imaging works by transmitting radio waves towards a target and then receiving the reflections of those waves. These reflections are then processed and analyzed to create an image of the target. The time it takes for the waves to return, as well as their intensity, can provide information about the target's size, shape, and composition.

What is the difference between Doppler and non-Doppler radar imaging?

Doppler radar imaging uses the Doppler effect to measure the speed and direction of moving objects, while non-Doppler radar imaging focuses on creating images of stationary objects or landscapes. Non-Doppler radar imaging is also commonly used for weather forecasting and mapping terrain.

What are the applications of non-Doppler radar imaging?

Non-Doppler radar imaging has a wide range of applications, including military surveillance, weather forecasting, mapping terrain, and even medical imaging. It is also commonly used in navigation systems, airport and traffic control, and search and rescue operations.

What are the advantages of non-Doppler radar imaging?

Non-Doppler radar imaging has several advantages, including its ability to operate in all weather conditions and its high resolution and accuracy. It is also a cost-effective and efficient method for creating images and has a wide range of applications in various industries.