Angle $\theta$ Changing Rate of Ladder $13ft$ Long

In summary: The angle is changing because the $x$ coordinate is changing. And the $x$ coordinate is changing because the foot of the ladder is moving horizontally. Which way is horizontal?The angle $\theta$ is the angle between the ladder and the ground. When the foot of the ladder is 5 feet to the right of the base of the building, the ladder makes an angle of $\theta$ with the ground. So, in this case, $$\cos \theta = \frac{13}{5}.$$And we know that $d \theta /dt = \frac{d}{dt} \cos^{-1} (13/5).$What do we do now?We differentiate the expression for $\cos \theta$
karush
Gold Member
MHB
A Ladder $13ft$ long is leaning against the side of a building.
If the foot of the ladder is pulled away from the building
at a constant rate of $\displaystyle \frac{2 in}{sec}$
how fast is the angle formed by the ladder and the ground changing in $\displaystyle\frac {rad}{sec}$
at the instant when the top of the ladder is $12 ft$ above the ground.

View attachment 1511

I started with
$\displaystyle\theta = cos^{-1}\left(\frac{\sqrt{169-x^2}}{13}\right)$

$\displaystyle\frac{d\theta}{dt}=\frac{dx}{dt} cos^{-1}\left(\frac{\sqrt{169-x^2}}{13}\right)$

I didn't know how to use the $\displaystyle \frac{2 in}{sec}$ after this

Physics news on Phys.org
I would probably go with
$$ \cos( \theta)= \frac{ \sqrt{13^{2}-x^{2}}}{13}.$$
While we're at it, utilize implicit differentiation to the full:
$$ \cos^{2}( \theta)= \frac{13^{2}-x^{2}}{13^{2}}.$$
Next, you must differentiate this equation w.r.t. $t$:
$$-2 \cos( \theta) \sin( \theta) \frac{d \theta}{dt}= \frac{d}{dt} \frac{13^{2}-x^{2}}{13^{2}} = - \frac{2x}{13^{2}} \frac{dx}{dt}.$$
Now solve for $d \theta/dt$ and plug in everything you know.

Ackbach said:
$- \frac{2x}{13^{2}} \frac{dx}{dt}$
Now solve for $d \theta/dt$ and plug in everything you know.

so if $\displaystyle\frac{dx}{dt}$ when x=12 is
$\displaystyle\frac{60in}{30sec}$ or 2

then $\displaystyle\frac{2\cdot 12 \cdot 2}{169} \approx \frac {0.28 rad}{sec}$

or is this completely off...

You need to solve for $d \theta/dt$ first. Never forget that you're going after your Target Variable (which I call the T. V.). You've plugged things in, but not into an expression for $d \theta/dt$.

$$-2 \cos( \theta) \sin( \theta) \frac{d \theta}{dt}= \frac{d}{dt} \frac{13^{2}-x^{2}}{13^{2}} = - \frac{2x}{13^{2}} \frac{dx}{dt}.$$

so from this to isolate
$$\frac{d \theta}{dt}=
\frac{1}{-2 \cos( \theta)\sin( \theta)}
\cdot\left( - \frac{2x}{13^{2}} \frac{dx}{dt}\right)$$

so if

$$\frac{dx}{dt}=2$$
$$x=12$$
$$\theta \approx 1.17 rad$$

then plug..

I got $$-\frac{1}{72} \frac {\text {rad}}{\text {sec}}$$

for ans

I think I see a problem: how did you define your coordinate system? Is $x$ positive to the right? Or up? If $x$ is positive to the right, then $dx/dt=2$, and $x=5$. Also, we may not have set the problem up correctly.

You always need to define your coordinate system early in solving any problem of this sort.

1. What is the formula for calculating the changing rate of angle $\theta$ for a ladder?

The formula for calculating the changing rate of angle $\theta$ for a ladder is $\frac{d\theta}{dt} = \frac{1}{L}\frac{dh}{dt}$, where $L$ is the length of the ladder and $\frac{dh}{dt}$ is the rate of change of the ladder's height.

2. How is the changing rate of angle $\theta$ related to the changing rate of the ladder's height?

The changing rate of angle $\theta$ is directly proportional to the changing rate of the ladder's height. This means that as the ladder's height increases, the angle $\theta$ will also increase at a constant rate.

3. Does the weight of the ladder affect the changing rate of angle $\theta$?

Yes, the weight of the ladder does affect the changing rate of angle $\theta$. A heavier ladder will require more force to move, causing a slower changing rate of angle $\theta$ compared to a lighter ladder.

4. What factors can affect the changing rate of angle $\theta$ for a ladder?

The changing rate of angle $\theta$ for a ladder can be affected by the length of the ladder, the rate at which the ladder's height is changing, and the weight of the ladder.

5. How can the changing rate of angle $\theta$ be used in real-world applications?

The changing rate of angle $\theta$ can be used in various real-world applications, such as determining the stability of a ladder while in use, calculating the force needed to move a ladder, and designing safer and more efficient ladder structures.