What is the rate of change of s with respect to time when y=π/2 radians?

In summary, it was found earlier that $ \frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{\pi}{30} \frac{rad}{sec} $ and $\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\pi}{60} \frac{rad}{sec}$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/2883
It was found earlier that
$ \frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{\pi}{30} \frac{rad}{sec} $ and $\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\pi}{60} \frac{rad}{sec}$

(C) since $s$ and $x$ and are related by the Law of Cosines;
What is the rate of change of with respect to time when $y=\frac{\pi}{2}$ radians?
Indicate units of measure.

ok I did this
$\displaystyle s^2=200-200\cdot\cos⁡ {\frac{\pi}{30}}\cdot\text {t}$
Let
$u = 200 - 200\cdot\cos\left({\frac{\pi}{30}}\right)\cdot\text{t}$
then
$\frac{du}{dt}=200\cos{\left(\frac{\pi}{30}\right)}$

provided I went the right direction not sure what to do next

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, so I almost agree with your set up using the law of cosines. I get this:

\(\displaystyle s^2=10^2+10^2-2(10)(10) \cos(x)\)

From here we can probably differentiate both sides with respect to time, treating $s$ and $x$ as functions of $t$. If that is the correct approach then it would lead to:

\(\displaystyle 2s \frac{ds}{dt}=200 \sin(x) \cdot \frac{dx}{dt}\)

This doesn't contain anything about $y$ though so I would use an alternate form of the law of cosines where $y$ is the angle you take the cosine of. However, I don't know what "What is the rate of change of with respect to time" means because it's not clear to me what rate of change we are supposed to find.

I hope this is some food for thought until someone else can step in. I've done many problems like this before but am missing something in the setup or maybe from an earlier part.

op correction

What is the rate of change of with respect to time when [FONT=MathJax_Math]y[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]=[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]π[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]2[/FONT] radians per second?
small correction on OP

also, [FONT=MathJax_Math]\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{\pi}{60}\frac{rad}{sec}\)
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Rate of change of what though? $\frac{ds}{dt}$? $y$ isn't expressed in radians per second either, so did you mean $\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{\pi}{2}$?

yes, since s is a length

sorry I should close this ... to much typo error in it.

thanks for help... pretty sure I know how to do it. once I find the original problem.

Last edited:
\[let \,\theta = x,\,r = 10\] then
\[s =(r^2 sin^2\theta + (r-rcos\theta)^2)^\frac{1}{2}\]
\[s = r (sin^2\theta + 1 -2cos\theta + cos^2\theta)^\frac{1}{2}\]
\[\frac{s}{r} = (2 - 2cos\theta)^\frac{1}{2}= (4sin^2\frac{\theta}{2})^\frac{1}{2}=2sin\frac{\theta}{2}\]
\[s = 2rsin\frac{\theta}{2}\]
\[\frac{ds}{d\theta}=rcos\frac{\theta}{2}\]
\[\frac{d\theta}{dt} = \frac{\pi}{30}\frac{rad}{sec}\]
\[\frac{ds}{dt} = \frac{ds}{d\theta}\frac{d\theta}{dt}\]
When \[y = \frac{\pi}{2}\] then \[\theta = 0\]
so \[\frac{ds}{d\theta} = rcos\frac{\theta}{2} = r\]
and \[\frac{ds}{dt} = r\frac{d\theta}{dt} = \frac{r\pi}{30}\frac{rad}{sec}\]

Last edited:
wow, that was a great help..thanks for all the steps.

So let me try this if $\displaystyle x=\frac{\pi}{2}$ then
$\displaystyle
s^2=200-200\cdot\cos{\left(x⁡\right)}
$
$\displaystyle
2s \frac{ds}{dt}= -200 \sin⁡{\right(x\left)} \frac{dx}{dt}
$
$\displaystyle
2s \frac{ds}{dt}= -200 \cdot \sin⁡{|left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)}\cdot\frac{dx}{dt}
$
$\displaystyle
\frac{2}{\sqrt{200}}\cdot\frac{ds}{dt}=
-200\sin\left({\frac{\pi}{2}}\right)\cdot\frac{\pi}{30}
$

$\displaystyle
\frac{ds}{dt}\approx 148 \frac{cm}{sec}
$

I think anyway this ans seem too large

1. What does "the rate of change of s with respect to time" mean?

The rate of change of s with respect to time refers to how quickly the value of s is changing over a certain period of time. It is a measure of the slope or steepness of the graph of s over time.

2. How is the rate of change of s with respect to time calculated?

The rate of change of s with respect to time is calculated by taking the derivative of s with respect to time. In other words, it is the slope of the tangent line to the graph of s at a specific point in time.

3. Why is the value of y=π/2 radians used in this equation?

The value of y=π/2 radians is often used in this equation because it represents the point where the sine function reaches its maximum value of 1. This makes it a useful point for analyzing the rate of change of s over time.

4. How does the rate of change of s with respect to time relate to the motion of an object?

The rate of change of s with respect to time is closely related to the velocity of an object. The higher the rate of change of s, the greater the velocity of the object over time. It can also indicate whether an object is speeding up or slowing down.

5. Can the rate of change of s with respect to time be negative?

Yes, the rate of change of s with respect to time can be negative. This would indicate that s is decreasing over time, or that the object is moving in the opposite direction. A negative rate of change can also indicate deceleration or slowing down of an object.