Angular acceleration of a bucket attatched to a solid cylinder

In summary, the cylinder has a mass of 50 kg, a diameter of 25 cm, and rotates at an angular acceleration of 35 rad/s^2.
anomalocaris

Homework Statement

This was a question from my homework. I got it wrong, even after asking my professor about it, and even though I can't get credit for it now, I'd like to know where I went wrong if anyone can help sort me out!

"Water is drawn from a well in a bucket tied to the end of a rope whose other end wraps around a solid cylinder of mass 50 kg and diameter 25 cm. As this cylinder is turned with a crank, the rope raises the bucket. The mass of the bucket of water is 20 kg. Someone cranks the bucket up and then let's go of the crank, and the bucket of water falls down to the bottom of the well. Without friction or air resistance, what is the angular acceleration of the 50-kg cylinder?"

m_c (mass of cylinder)=50 kg
d=25 cm so r=12.5 cm = 0.125 m
m_b (mass of bucket)=20 kg

Homework Equations

[itex]\tau[/itex] = I[itex]\alpha[/itex]
[itex]\tau[/itex] = rT
T-(m_b)g=-(m_b)a

Also I'm assuming since it's a solid cylinder, we will need I = 1/2 mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So using the equations:
RT = [itex]\tau[/itex] = I[itex]\alpha[/itex]
RT= I[itex]\alpha[/itex]

(m_b)g-T= (m_b)aR And from what I understand, this is the same as the tangential acceleration?

(m_b)g-T=(m_b)[itex]\alpha[/itex] r = F

T= ( i[itex]\alpha[/itex] ) / r
(m_b)g -(( i[itex]\alpha[/itex] ) / r ) = m[itex]\alpha[/itex] r
[itex]\alpha[/itex] ( ((m_b)r) + (I /R ) ) = (m_b)g

Leaving us with the final : [itex]\alpha[/itex] = ((m_b)g)/(((m_b)r) + (I /r))

Using this equation, I found I = 0.390625
and the final answer would be 35 rad/s^2

Sorry for such a long post--this is my first time on the website and I read the rules so hopefully I've done everything correctly! Thank you all!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi anomalocaris, welcome to PF.

anomalocaris said:

Homework Statement

This was a question from my homework. I got it wrong, even after asking my professor about it, and even though I can't get credit for it now, I'd like to know where I went wrong if anyone can help sort me out!

"Water is drawn from a well in a bucket tied to the end of a rope whose other end wraps around a solid cylinder of mass 50 kg and diameter 25 cm. As this cylinder is turned with a crank, the rope raises the bucket. The mass of the bucket of water is 20 kg. Someone cranks the bucket up and then let's go of the crank, and the bucket of water falls down to the bottom of the well. Without friction or air resistance, what is the angular acceleration of the 50-kg cylinder?"

m_c (mass of cylinder)=50 kg
d=25 cm so r=12.5 cm = 0.125 m
m_b (mass of bucket)=20 kg

Homework Equations

[itex]\tau[/itex] = I[itex]\alpha[/itex]
[itex]\tau[/itex] = rT
T-(m_b)g=-(m_b)a

Also I'm assuming since it's a solid cylinder, we will need I = 1/2 mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So using the equations:
RT = [itex]\tau[/itex] = I[itex]\alpha[/itex]
RT= I[itex]\alpha[/itex]

(m_b)g-T= (m_b)aR And from what I understand, this is the same as the tangential acceleration?

a is equal to the tangential acceleration of the rim of the cylinder, and at the same time, the downward acceleration of the bucket. α (alpha) is the angular acceleration of the cylinder. alpha=a/r. So the correct equation is

mb g-T=mb[itex]\alpha[/itex] r

anomalocaris said:
T= ( i[itex]\alpha[/itex] ) / r.

(m_b)g -(( i[itex]\alpha[/itex] ) / r ) = mb[itex]\alpha[/itex] r
[itex]\alpha[/itex] ( ((m_b)r) + (I /R ) ) = (m_b)g

Leaving us with the final : [itex]\alpha[/itex] = ((m_b)g)/(((m_b)r) + (I /r))

Using this equation, I found I = 0.390625
and the final answer would be 35 rad/s^2

Sorry for such a long post--this is my first time on the website and I read the rules so hopefully I've done everything correctly! Thank you all!

Do not use different notations for the same thing: r,R and i,I.

Your final equation

[tex]\alpha=\frac{m_b g}{m_b r+I/r}[/tex]

is correct.
Notice that I=0.5 mcr2, so you can rewrite the equation as

[tex]\alpha=\frac{m_b g}{r(m_b +0.5m_c)}[/tex]
The numerical result for the angular acceleration is also correct.

ehild

Thank you, ehild! Sorry for the different notations--that was kind of a typographical error on my part. I'll have to ask my professor why the computer system scored me wrong--maybe there was a glitch somewhere. I really appreciate your help!

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which the angular velocity of an object changes over time. It is represented by the symbol alpha (α) and is measured in radians per second squared.

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration refers to the change in rotational motion, while linear acceleration refers to the change in linear motion. Angular acceleration is measured in terms of radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared.

3. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where ω is angular velocity and t is time.

4. What factors affect the angular acceleration of a bucket attached to a solid cylinder?

The angular acceleration of a bucket attached to a solid cylinder depends on the mass and distribution of the bucket, the radius of the cylinder, and the force applied to the bucket.

5. How does centripetal force affect the angular acceleration of a bucket attached to a solid cylinder?

Centripetal force, which is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, affects the angular acceleration of a bucket attached to a solid cylinder by changing the direction of the object's velocity. This results in a change in angular velocity, which in turn affects the angular acceleration.