Angular Acceleration of toy train

In summary, a toy train with a coefficient of rolling friction of 0.12 rolls around a 1.4-m-diameter track. Using the equations α=ω^2*r and a=rα, the magnitude of the train's angular acceleration can be found by finding the force (F=ma) and dividing by the radius. The train's angular acceleration is 1.68 rad/s^2.
carleon
Hi, thanks for taking a look!

A toy train rolls around a horizontal 1.4-m-diameter track. The coefficient of rolling friction is 0.12.
(a) What is the magnitude of the train's angular acceleration after it is released?
(b) How long does it take the train to stop if it's released with an angular speed of 16 rpm?

I think I know which equations to use: α = ω^2*r and a = rα, but there is no mention of velocity in the problem so I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi carleon! welcome to pf! :smile:
carleon said:
(a) What is the magnitude of the train's angular acceleration after it is released?

find a (from F = ma), then divide by r to get α :wink:

Thanks, but since mass isn't given, how would I find F=ma?

call the mass "m" … it'll cancel :smile:

I got it! α=1.68rad/s^2

Thanks a bunch. :biggrin:

Related to Angular Acceleration of toy train

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity of an object. It is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing.

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration refers to the change in an object's rotational speed, while linear acceleration refers to the change in an object's linear velocity. They are both measures of how quickly an object's motion is changing, but in different directions.

3. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula: angular acceleration = (change in angular velocity) / (change in time).

4. What factors can affect the angular acceleration of a toy train?

The angular acceleration of a toy train can be affected by factors such as the mass and shape of the train, the surface it is moving on, and any external forces acting on it (such as friction or gravity).

5. How can angular acceleration be measured in a toy train?

Angular acceleration can be measured in a toy train by using sensors such as an accelerometer or a gyroscope. These sensors can detect changes in rotational speed and can calculate the angular acceleration of the train.