Angular distribution of diffusely scattered light

In summary, the speaker recently conducted an experiment to model the angular distribution of diffusely scattered light. They used four surfaces, two smooth and two rough, and rotated a detector around them to measure the intensity of reflected light. The results showed that the peaks for the rough surfaces were not centered at the expected angle and shifted up by about 4 degrees. One possible explanation for this is that the surfaces resemble a disc or "dirty" diffraction grating. The speaker also mentions the concept of BRDF and how it relates to surface properties, illumination angle, and scattering angle. They also mention potential sources of error in the experiment, such as variations in normal vectors and polarization and wavelength dependence. Ultimately, the speaker is unsure of the exact
Daniiel
Hey,

I recently did a pretty simple experiment to model the angular distribution of diffusely scatter light. I had four different surfaces, two were obviously smooth and two were obviously rough. I use an apparatus shown in the below picture where I used horizontally polarised light.

[PLAIN]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6615/aparatus.jpg

The surface was placed in position of the "triangle" (it wasn't actually a triangle the apparatus is actually from a previous section of the experiment where I used a prism) such that the angle of incidence was 70deg. I then rotated a detector around the surface between a range of angles to measure the intensity reflected light. I plotted the detectors angle against the intensity. The graph is below.

[PLAIN]http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/8955/asdzu.jpg

What I found was the two smooth surfaces (S1,S3) gave results that were expected, the peaks were centred when the angle of incidence = angle of reflection (the plateau of each peak is because the detector plate was large). However with the rough surfaces the peaks were not centred at the expected angle, they shifted up by around 4degrees. The only explanation I can think of is that the rough surfaces resemble a disc or a "dirty" diffraction grating.

Does anyone have any ideas why the peaks have shifted? We ran the experiment three times and received the same result with the rough surfaces

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh thanks a lot,

So if I were to apply this function to the experiment it would tell me that the angle of reflection is great then the angle of incidence?

So really its just that the properties of these particular rough surfaces reflect the light at a larger angle?

Daniiel said:
Does anyone have any ideas why the peaks have shifted? We ran the experiment three times and received the same result with the rough surfaces

How well do you know the zero of the angular scale, and is it the same for every surface? Mounting a random piece of material on the stage, you don't know where the surface normal points unless you zero it by back-reflecting, and then count degrees of rotation from that orientation. Also, surfaces have variations in normal vectors depending on how much of the surface you are averaging over, and how flat the surface is over different spatial scales (obviously over very small scales, a rough surface is not flat at all). Also, to be precise you would need to rotate the object about the illumination point on the surface, and to take care to set up the experiment that way. So, errors can creep in from various places, and ~ few-degree offsets wouldn't be surprising unless you are very careful to look out for these sources of error.

Daniiel said:
Oh thanks a lot,

So if I were to apply this function to the experiment it would tell me that the angle of reflection is great then the angle of incidence?

So really its just that the properties of these particular rough surfaces reflect the light at a larger angle?

I don't know of any BRDF that can be calculated (except for idealized surfaces like Lambertian)- they are all measured. There are some modeling approaches (Kubelka-Munk, Torrance-Sparrow, Oren-Nayar, etc.), but the surface roughness properties must be quantitatively specified in some way.

There's also polarization dependence and wavelength dependence, I forgot to mention that earlier.

The behavior can be extremely complex- many rough surfaces, even 'black' ones, will specularly reflect at grazing angles of incidence.

Related to Angular distribution of diffusely scattered light

1. What is the angular distribution of diffusely scattered light?

The angular distribution of diffusely scattered light refers to the pattern in which light is scattered in all directions by a rough or irregular surface. It is described by the intensity of light scattered at different angles from the surface.

2. How is the angular distribution of diffusely scattered light measured?

The angular distribution of diffusely scattered light is typically measured using a detector placed at different angles around the sample surface. The intensity of scattered light at each angle is then recorded and plotted to create a scattering profile.

3. What factors affect the angular distribution of diffusely scattered light?

The angular distribution of diffusely scattered light can be affected by several factors, including the surface roughness of the sample, the wavelength of the incident light, and the refractive index of the material. Additionally, the polarization and angle of incidence of the incident light can also influence the scattering pattern.

4. How is the angular distribution of diffusely scattered light used in research?

The angular distribution of diffusely scattered light is commonly used in research to study the physical properties of materials, such as their surface roughness or composition. It can also be used to analyze the optical properties of materials, such as their refractive index or scattering efficiency.

5. Can the angular distribution of diffusely scattered light be controlled or manipulated?

While the angular distribution of diffusely scattered light is primarily dependent on the physical properties of the material, it can be controlled or manipulated in some cases. For example, by changing the angle of incidence or the polarization of the incident light, the scattering pattern can be altered. Additionally, techniques such as surface treatments or coatings can also affect the angular distribution of diffusely scattered light.