How is an autocorrelation function computed? (Dynamic Light Scattering)

In summary, a digital correlator is used in an experiment of Dynamic Light Scattering to compute an autocorrelation function, mathematically represented as ##G(\tau)=\langle I(t)I(t+\tau) \rangle##. This process involves collecting scattered light intensity with a single detector and sending the signal to the correlator which performs a multiplication of the FFTs of the signals and then inverse FFT to filter the signal. The autocorrelation is computed by taking the FFT of the signal, squaring the vectors of the resulting spectrum, and computing the inverse FFT. This essentially filters the signal by itself.
Salmone
In an experiment of Dynamic Light Scattering, how is an autocorrelation like the one in the image computed?

dls-theory-figure-1-500.png

Mathematically a correlation function can be written as ##G(\tau)=\langle I(t)I(t+\tau) \rangle##, in an experiment like the one I mentioned the scattered intensity light is collected by a single detector, then the signal is sent to a digital correlator which computes the correlation function. How this process works? Once I have a signal from the detector, what does the correlator do? Does it multiply the intensity at time ##t## with the same intensity at time ##t+\tau## simply? How is the average implemented? By recording with the detector the same scattered intensity multiple times? Can you explain very generally how a digital correlator works?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Salmone said:
Can you explain very generally how a digital correlator works?
A correlator would take the FFT of the two signals, multiply those two spectra, then inverse FFT. In effect, filtering a signal by another signal.

I expect autocorrelation could be performed by taking the FFT of the signal, squaring the vectors of the resulting spectrum, then computing the inverse FFT. In effect, filtering a signal by itself.

1. What is an autocorrelation function?

An autocorrelation function is a mathematical tool used to analyze the fluctuations in a time series data. It measures the similarity between a signal and a delayed version of itself as a function of the delay time.

2. How is an autocorrelation function computed?

An autocorrelation function is computed by taking the time series data and calculating the correlation between the signal and a delayed version of itself at different time lags. This is usually done using mathematical algorithms or software programs.

3. What is the significance of an autocorrelation function in Dynamic Light Scattering?

In Dynamic Light Scattering, an autocorrelation function is used to analyze the fluctuations in the scattered light intensity from a sample. This information is then used to determine the size and diffusion properties of particles in the sample.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of autocorrelation function in Dynamic Light Scattering?

The accuracy of an autocorrelation function in Dynamic Light Scattering can be affected by factors such as the quality of the data, the presence of noise, and the choice of correlation algorithm. It is also important to ensure that the data is collected under appropriate experimental conditions.

5. Can an autocorrelation function be used to analyze non-time series data?

Yes, an autocorrelation function can also be used to analyze non-time series data, such as spatial data. In this case, the delay time is replaced with a spatial distance, and the function measures the similarity between the signal and a shifted version of itself at different distances.