Angular Frequency of a Piston with Ideal Gas

In summary, the problem involves a frictionless piston in a container filled with an ideal gas. Under isothermal conditions, the differential equation of motion for small displacements of the piston is determined and the angular frequency of oscillation is calculated to be ω = √(gA/V0). The key steps involve linearizing the equation of pressure and eliminating unnecessary variables.
phys3107_

Homework Statement

A frictionless piston of mass m is a precise fit in the vertical cylindrical neck of a large container of volume V. The container is filled with an ideal gas and there is a vacuum above the piston. The cross-sectional area of the neck is A. Assuming that the pressure and volume of the gas change slowly and isothermally, determine the differential equation of motion for small displacements of the piston about its equilibrium position and hence calculate the angular frequency of oscillation.

$$m = 0.1 \rm{kg}$$
$$V = 0.1 \rm{m^{3}}$$
$$A = \pi*10^{-4} \rm{m^{2}}$$

Homework Equations

Ideal Gas: $$PV=nRT$$
Isothermal: $$P_{1}V_{1}=P_{2}V_{2}$$
Newton's 2nd: $$F=ma$$
Pressure: $$P=\frac{F}{A}$$

3. The Attempt at a Solution

As the process is isothermal:
$$P_{0}V_{0}=PV$$
If $$x$$ is the position of the piston and $$x_{0}$$ is the equilibrium position:
$$P_{0}Ax_{0}=PAx$$
So:
$$P=P_{0}\frac{x_{0}}{x}$$

At any point in time:
$$ma = PA$$

Substituting for the pressure into the above:
$$ma = \frac{P_{0}Ax_{0}}{x}$$
$$ma = \frac{P_{0}V_{0}}{x}$$

As a differential:
$$m\frac{\mathrm{d}^2 x}{\mathrm{d} t^2} - \frac{P_{0}V_{0}}{x} = 0$$

This is non-linear so I can't solve it for the angular frequency. Been looking at this for a while so have I made silly errors or am I just approaching this completely wrong?
Any help or hints appreciated :).

P.S. Sorry for the awkward formatting. How do I do inline equations?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
phys3107_ said:
At any point in time:
ma=PA​
Gravity?

As Haruspex was hinting at, the equation should be $$ma=A(P-P_0)$$Can you figure out why?

Sorry for the late reply, I decided to revisit it a day later after I realized the gravity blunder. I managed to get that equation, Chestermiller.
At any point in time:
$$ma = PA - mg$$
But we also know mg from equilibrium conditions:
$$mg = P_{0}A$$
So:
$$ma = A(P - P_{0})$$

So do I now just need to find P as a function of x?

phys3107_ said:
Sorry for the late reply, I decided to revisit it a day later after I realized the gravity blunder. I managed to get that equation, Chestermiller.
At any point in time:
$$ma = PA - mg$$
But we also know mg from equilibrium conditions:
$$mg = P_{0}A$$
So:
$$ma = A(P - P_{0})$$

So do I now just need to find P as a function of x?
You already had P as a function of x. You need to substitute ##x=x_0+\delta## in the equation ##P=\frac{P_0x_0}{x}##, and then linearize with respect to ##\delta##.

You should really write $$P=\frac{P_0V_0}{(V_0+A\delta)}$$and linearize with respect to ##\delta##

Last edited:
Thank you although I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "linearize".

phys3107_ said:
Thank you although I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "linearize".
Chet means expand the expression into a linear form, c+dδ, by making an approximation that is valid for small δ.
The reference to small displacements in the question is a hint that you need to do this.

Chestermiller said:
You already had P as a function of x. You need to substitute ##x=x_0+\delta## in the equation ##P=\frac{P_0x_0}{x}##, and then linearize with respect to ##\delta##.

You should really write $$P=\frac{P_0V_0}{(V_0+A\delta)}$$and linearize with respect to ##\delta##
$$\frac{1}{V_0+A\delta}=\frac{1}{V_0\left(1+\frac{A\delta}{V_0}\right)}\approx \left(\frac{1}{V_0}\right)\left(1-\frac{A\delta}{V_0}\right)$$

Ahh I see, I understand the approximation now. So to get to the differential equation I just need to substitute that into ##ma = A(P - P_{0})##?

phys3107_ said:
Ahh I see, I understand the approximation now. So to get to the differential equation I just need to substitute that into ##ma = A(P - P_{0})##?
Yes, but you also need to eliminate ##P_0## by using ##P_0A=mg##, and you need to express the acceleration in terms of the second derivative of ##\delta##

Likes phys3107_
Yes, its clicked now, thank you for your help! The differential is give by:
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}^2 \delta}{\mathrm{d} t^2} + \frac{gA}{V_{0}}\delta = 0$$
So the solution for the angular frequency is:
$$\omega = \sqrt{\frac{gA}{V_{0}}}$$

Correct? :D

phys3107_ said:

Sure.

phys3107_ said:

Sure.

What is the concept of angular frequency in relation to a piston with ideal gas?

The angular frequency of a piston with ideal gas refers to the rate at which the piston oscillates or vibrates about its equilibrium position. It is measured in radians per second and is directly related to the frequency of the gas molecules colliding with the piston.

How is the angular frequency of a piston with ideal gas calculated?

The angular frequency can be calculated using the formula ω = √(k/m), where k is the spring constant of the piston and m is the mass of the gas molecules. This formula is derived from Hooke's law and Newton's second law of motion.

What factors affect the angular frequency of a piston with ideal gas?

The angular frequency is affected by the mass of the gas molecules, the spring constant of the piston, and the temperature of the gas. A higher mass or lower spring constant will result in a lower angular frequency, while a higher temperature will result in a higher angular frequency.

How does the angular frequency of a piston with ideal gas relate to the gas pressure?

The angular frequency is directly proportional to the gas pressure. This means that as the pressure of the gas increases, the angular frequency also increases. This is because a higher gas pressure results in more frequent collisions with the piston, leading to a higher oscillation rate.

What is the significance of the angular frequency of a piston with ideal gas in practical applications?

The angular frequency is an important factor in understanding the behavior of gases in various systems, such as engines, compressors, and refrigerators. It helps to determine the efficiency and performance of these systems and can be adjusted by changing the gas pressure or temperature. Additionally, the angular frequency is used in the design and optimization of these systems to ensure optimal operation.