Angular momentum after a collision

In summary, the disk in the given scenario has a moment of inertia of (1/2)mr^2 + m(L+r)^2 and its initial and final angular momentum can be calculated using the general theorem for the angular momentum of a rigid body.
Jenny Physics

Homework Statement

A disk of radius ##r## and mass ##m## rolls down an inclined plan. It reaches the end of the plane with velocity ##v_{f}## and collides with a vertical rod of length ##L## and mass ##M## sticking with it. See figure.
24cw02c.png

What is the angular momentum magnitude and direction after the collision?

Homework Equations

$$L=I_{disk}\omega$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The moment of inertia of the disk relative to the pivot is (using the parallel axis theorem)
$$I_{disk}=\frac{1}{2}mr^{2}+m(L+r)^{2}$$.
Angular momentum is conserved. The initial (and hence the final i.e. right after the collision) angular momentum is

$$L_{initial}=I_{disk}\omega=I_{disk}\frac{v_{f}\cos\theta}{L+r}=m\left[\frac{1}{2}mr^{2}+m(L+r)^{2}\right]\frac{v_{f}\cos\theta}{L+r}$$

Angular momentum points out of the plane since rotation is counterclockwise

However the solution is different . Where am I wrong?

Attachments

• 24cw02c.png
    24cw02c.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 395
Physics news on Phys.org
Jenny Physics said:
$$L=I_{disk}\omega$$ $$I_{disk}=\frac{1}{2}mr^{2}+m(L+r)^{2}$$.
These two equations would be applicable only if the disk is in pure rotation about the pivot point (at the top of the rod). But this is not the type of motion that the disk has just before the collision. There is a general theorem for the angular momentum of a rigid body that you can use. See, for example, the equation in the box in the section "The Angular Momentum of a Rigid Object Rotating and Translating" at this link
https://scripts.mit.edu/~srayyan/PE...of_a_Rigid_Body_both_Rotating_and_Translating

Last edited:
Likes Jenny Physics

1. What is angular momentum after a collision?

Angular momentum after a collision is a measure of the rotational motion of an object or system after a collision has occurred. It is the product of the moment of inertia and angular velocity of the object or system.

2. How is angular momentum conserved after a collision?

Angular momentum is conserved after a collision because the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that the sum of the angular momentum of all objects involved in the collision will remain the same before and after the collision.

3. What factors affect the change in angular momentum after a collision?

The change in angular momentum after a collision is affected by the moment of inertia, angular velocity, and the external torque acting on the system. The type of collision, such as elastic or inelastic, also plays a role in determining the change in angular momentum.

4. How does the direction of the angular momentum change after a collision?

The direction of the angular momentum after a collision depends on the direction of the external torque acting on the system. If no external torque is present, the direction of the angular momentum will remain the same. However, if an external torque is applied, the direction of the angular momentum may change.

5. Can angular momentum be transferred between objects during a collision?

Yes, angular momentum can be transferred between objects during a collision. In an inelastic collision, some of the angular momentum of the colliding objects may be transferred to the combined object after the collision. In an elastic collision, the total angular momentum of the system will remain the same, but there may be a transfer of angular momentum between the colliding objects.