Angular momentum and a basketball

In summary: There seems to be some information missing here.Can you find anything about the kinetic energy of the original shot?Is that perhaps part of a previous question?Oh sorry about that! In the previous question, it was mentioned that the kinetic energy of the original shot was 40.5 J.Oh sorry about that! In the previous question, it was mentioned that the kinetic energy of the original shot was 40.5 J.So in that case, the rotational energy is approximately 2.4% of the original kinetic energy.As for the second part of the question, controlling the amount of spin could definitely make a big difference in the outcome of a shot. The more spin, the more stability and accuracy, but at the cost of
Mango12
Putting spin on the ball improves it’s stability (the spin imparts angular momentum and it takes an outside torque to change angular momentum), but at a cost. As you know, for a given input of energy, spin consumes some of that energy and leaves less for translation.

Part A: So, How much more energy must a player expend in order to make the same shot, but impart a reasonable spin of 3.00 revolutions per second? A standard basketball has a mass of 0.500 kg and a diameter of 25.4 cm. Your answer should be approximately 1.00J of energy.

Part B: What percentage is that of the kinetic energy of the original shot taken without spin?And, does it seem that controlling the amount of spin could make a big enough difference to miss or make a shot?

~I have no idea how to start this. Can anyone help?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mango12 said:
Putting spin on the ball improves it’s stability (the spin imparts angular momentum and it takes an outside torque to change angular momentum), but at a cost. As you know, for a given input of energy, spin consumes some of that energy and leaves less for translation.

Part A: So, How much more energy must a player expend in order to make the same shot, but impart a reasonable spin of 3.00 revolutions per second? A standard basketball has a mass of 0.500 kg and a diameter of 25.4 cm. Your answer should be approximately 1.00J of energy.

Hi Mango12! (Smile)

Starting with A, the rotational energy involved is given by $\frac 12 I \omega^2$, where $I$ is the moment of inertia of a basketball of mass $m$ and $\omega$ is the angular velocity corresponding to the required spin.
Do you perchance have a formula for that moment of inertia?
And can you calculate the required angular velocity?

I like Serena said:
Hi Mango12! (Smile)

Starting with A, the rotational energy involved is given by $\frac 12 I \omega^2$, where $I$ is the moment of inertia of a solid ball of mass $m$ and $\omega$ is the angular velocity corresponding to the required spin.
Do you perchance have a formula for that moment of inertia?
And can you calculate the required angular velocity?

moment of inertia for a solid sphere is 2/5MR^2, which equals 32.3

the formula for angular velocity is w=v/r. I think I have to do something with radians, but I'm not sure.

Mango12 said:
moment of inertia for a solid sphere is 2/5MR^2, which equals 32.3

the formula for angular velocity is w=v/r. I think I have to do something with radians, but I'm not sure.

Actually, I have just realized that a basketball is not a solid sphere but a hollow sphere.
The moment of inertia for a hollow sphere is $\frac 23 m r^2$.

And with 3 revolutions per second, we have an angular velocity of $\omega = 3 \times 2\pi \text{ rad/s}$, since we have $2\pi \text{ rad}$ in one revolution.

I like Serena said:
Actually, I have just realized that a basketball is not a solid sphere but a hollow sphere.
The moment of inertia for a hollow sphere is $\frac 23 m r^2$.

And with 3 revolutions per second, we have an angular velocity of $\omega = 3 \times 2\pi \text{ rad/s}$, since we have $2\pi \text{ rad}$ in one revolution.

okay, so when I tried to find rotational energy I did 1/2(Iw^2) but I don't know if I did it right...

1/2(2/3)mr^(2w^2)
1/2 (53.8)w^2
1/2(53.8)(18.8)
=505.7

Mango12 said:
okay, so when I tried to find rotational energy I did 1/2(Iw^2) but I don't know if I did it right...

1/2(2/3)mr^(2w^2)
1/2 (53.8)w^2
1/2(53.8)(18.8)
=505.7

That doesn't look quite right...

Let's redo that:
$$
\frac 12 I\omega^2 = \frac 12 \left(\frac 23 m r^2\right)\omega^2 = \frac 12 \left(\frac 23 \cdot 0.5 \cdot \left(\frac 12 \cdot 0.254\right)^2\right) \cdot (3\cdot 2\pi)^2
= 0.955 \text{ J}
$$

I like Serena said:
That doesn't look quite right...

Let's redo that:
$$
\frac 12 I\omega^2 = \frac 12 \left(\frac 23 m r^2\right)\omega^2 = \frac 12 \left(\frac 23 \cdot 0.5 \cdot \left(\frac 12 \cdot 0.254\right)^2\right) \cdot (3\cdot 2\pi)^2
= 0.955 \text{ J}
$$

That number looks a lot better. But is that the final answer for part A?

Mango12 said:

And how do I go about solving part B? (I really appreciate all the help by the way) :)

Mango12 said:
Yes.

Mango12 said:
Part B: What percentage is that of the kinetic energy of the original shot taken without spin?And, does it seem that controlling the amount of spin could make a big enough difference to miss or make a shot?

Mango12 said:
And how do I go about solving part B? (I really appreciate all the help by the way) :)
There seems to be some information missing here.
Can you find anything about the kinetic energy of the original shot?
Is that perhaps part of a previous question?

I like Serena said:
Yes.

There seems to be some information missing here.
Can you find anything about the kinetic energy of the original shot?
Is that perhaps part of a previous question?

Well, when the ball is originally shot, it is traveling at 7.67m/s, so..

1/2mv^2= (.5)(.5)(7.67^2)= 14.7

Mango12 said:
Well, when the ball is originally shot, it is traveling at 7.67m/s, so..

1/2mv^2= (.5)(.5)(7.67^2)= 14.7

So...?

I like Serena said:
So...?

Would I subtract the .995 and the 14.7? But wait...it says it wants to know the percentage of KE from the original shot, so maybe I should divide them?

Mango12 said:
Would I subtract the .995 and the 14.7? But wait...it says it wants to know the percentage of KE from the original shot, so maybe I should divide them?

Yep. Let's divide them.

I like Serena said:
Yep. Let's divide them.
Or do I need to add .955 to the 14.7? (to get the total energy, since the .955 is for the spin and the 14.7 is for a normal shot?)

but if we are just dividing then .955/14.7=.065=6.5%

Mango12 said:
Or do I need to add .955 to the 14.7? (to get the total energy, since the .955 is for the spin and the 14.7 is for a normal shot?)

but if we are just dividing then .955/14.7=.065=6.5%

I'm assuming the original shot is without spin, in which case this is just fine.
So 6.5% of the shot is needed to give it the proper spin.
That doesn't sound like too much does it?
So if we can spin it without affecting our aim, that's probably worthwhile to stabilize the shot.

I like Serena said:
I'm assuming the original shot is without spin, in which case this is just fine.
So 6.5% of the shot is needed to give it the proper spin.
That doesn't sound like too much does it?
So if we can spin it without affecting our aim, that's probably worthwhile to stabilize the shot.

Wow, I actually understand this now! I really appreciate you taking the time to go through all of this with me :)

1. What is angular momentum and how does it relate to a basketball?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the object's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotation) by its angular velocity (how fast it is rotating). In the case of a basketball, its angular momentum increases as it spins faster.

2. How is angular momentum conserved in a basketball game?

In a basketball game, angular momentum is conserved through the conservation of energy. As the basketball is passed or bounced between players, its angular momentum may change, but the total angular momentum of the system (the players and the ball) remains constant. This is due to the fact that there are no external forces acting on the system to change its angular momentum.

3. How does a basketball player's body affect the angular momentum of the ball?

When a basketball player jumps and shoots the ball, they transfer their own angular momentum to the ball. This is because their body has its own angular momentum, which is transferred to the ball as they release it. Additionally, a player's body position and movements can also affect the direction and speed of the ball's angular momentum.

4. What happens to the angular momentum of a basketball when it is in free fall?

When a basketball is in free fall, its angular momentum remains constant. This is because there are no external forces acting on the ball to change its angular momentum. However, as the ball falls towards the ground, its angular velocity may change due to the force of gravity.

5. How does friction affect the angular momentum of a basketball?

Friction can affect the angular momentum of a basketball by slowing down its spin. When a basketball bounces or rolls on a surface, friction between the ball and the surface causes a loss of energy. This can result in a decrease in the ball's angular velocity and therefore its angular momentum. Additionally, friction can also cause the ball to spin in a different direction than it would if there were no friction present.