Angular momentum and centripetal force

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of centripetal force and its application in circular motion of objects. It was explained that the force on a ball on a string is caused by the tension of the string, while the force on a disk in constant angular velocity is provided by electrostatic forces. The conversation also touched on the role of structural strength in transmitting centripetal force and the idea that a point mass does not necessarily refer to literal protons and electrons.
Afterthought
Suppose you have a ball on a string, and you make the ball to move around in a circle. The force on the ball is caused by the tension of the string, and is called the centripetal force F = mv^2/r. If you were to let go at any moment, the ball would stop rotating and move with linear velocity.

Now suppose you had a disk on a pole, and you make the disk rotate at constant angular velocity. According to the conservation of angular momentum, the disk would keep on rotating at the same speed (assuming no external torque). My question is, if you focus on only one point on the disk, is it correct to say that the point is in circular/centripetal motion, and therefore is no different than a ball on a string?

If that is so, then there must be a centripetal force making that point move in a circle. For the case of the ball on the string, the human (and by extension the string) is the ultimate "source" of the centripetal force. What is the "source" for the disk, and why doesn't it exist for the ball on the string when the human let's their grip off the string?

I've been a bit rusty with mechanics, so it's possible I'm just misunderstanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
The centripetal force on the point on the disk is provided by the electrostatic forces that keep the disk structurally solid. You can consider the strip of disk material between the point and the centre of the disk as performing broadly the same role as the string does in the case of a ball on a string.

The letting go of the string is analogous to the disintegration of a flywheel when it spins too fast. The centrifugal (pseudo-)forces become too great for the electrostatic structural binding forces of the flywheel material to resist and it flies apart.

Likes kaio marques
Thanks, that made it a little clearer.

One thing I still don't get is why the string attached to the ball doesn't count as an an extended object held together by electrostatic forces (and therefore could generate centripetal forces without aid of a human). Is it because of the "structurally solid" requirement you made? Does that mean the string has to be hard to bend? (well you'd probably not call it a "string" then, ha). Is there a quantitavie way to measure that? Also does the string have to have a reasonably sized mass compared to the ball?

Secondly, does that mean when we say "a point mass has moment of inertia I = mr^2",we don't literally mean protons and electrons, since the electrostatic argument wouldn't hold? (what I know from quantum seems to suggest that's the case).

Afterthought said:
One thing I still don't get is why the string attached to the ball doesn't count as an an extended object held together by electrostatic forces (and therefore could generate centripetal forces without aid of a human).
I don't understand the question. There is no need for a human in the string and ball experiment. The string could be simply tied to a pivot and the ball launched into a circular path by a machine. In the case of both the string and a solid disk, it is the tensile strength (as opposed to compressive strength) of the material that enables transmission of centripetal force.

I didn't mean that there was a need for a human, I only said human because that was the example I gave.

But anyways, you answered the question so thank you.

In case it helps... if you replace the string with a rigid wire the two situations are essentially identical.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. What is the relationship between angular momentum and centripetal force?

Angular momentum and centripetal force are related through the principle of conservation of angular momentum. This principle states that when there is no external torque acting on a rotating object, its angular momentum remains constant. This means that as the centripetal force acting on an object increases, so does its angular momentum.

3. How is angular momentum different from linear momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of rotational motion, while linear momentum is a measure of linear motion. Angular momentum is dependent on an object's moment of inertia and angular velocity, while linear momentum is dependent on an object's mass and linear velocity.

4. How does the direction of centripetal force relate to the direction of angular momentum?

The direction of centripetal force is always directed towards the center of rotation, while the direction of angular momentum is perpendicular to both the direction of the object's motion and the axis of rotation. This means that the direction of centripetal force is always perpendicular to the direction of angular momentum.

5. What is the role of centripetal force in circular motion?

Centripetal force is responsible for keeping an object moving in a circular path. Without this force, the object would move in a straight line tangent to the circle. It is also necessary for maintaining the object's angular momentum and preventing it from flying off in a straight line.