Angular momentum and moment of inertia

In summary, the problem involves a collision between a point-shaped bubble gum and a mass m2 on a stiff, frictionless, rotatable bar. The angular velocity of the bar after the collision is to be determined. Using the equation for angular momentum, the solution is obtained as ω = m⋅v⋅d2/(m1⋅d12 + (m2 + m)⋅d22), where Isystem is calculated as m1⋅d12 + (m2 + m)⋅d22. The assumption of conservation of energy does not apply due to the inelastic nature of the collision.
JulienB

Homework Statement

Hi everyone! I'm preparing an exam and reviewing some old problems until then, to clear up some misconceptions I might have!
A stiff massless bar is frictionless rotatable about a point O. Two mass points m1 and m2 are fixed at its ends, respectively at distances d1 and d2. The bar is at rest, when a point-shaped bubble gum hits the mass m2 perpendicularly with velocity v and sticks on it. (see attached picture) What is the angular velocity of the bar after the collision? Justify your answer. (There is no field of gravity to consider here)

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia, angular momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

So when I see a collision with a fixed rotatable object I think immediately angular momentum:

m⋅v⋅d2 = Isystem⋅ω

The left side describes the motion of the gum relative to O before the collision, while the right side describes the rotation of the system after the gum stuck on m2.

⇒ ω = m⋅v⋅d2/Isystem

Since the bar is massless, I believe the moment of inertia can be calculated like for two atoms orbiting a point:

Isystem = m1⋅d12 + (m2 + m)⋅d22

Is that right? If so, my answer would then be:

ω = m⋅v⋅d2/(m1⋅d12 + (m2 + m)⋅d22)

That is all? I am surprised because usually the problems to solve are quite tough.

Extra question: I also tried to solve that with conservation of energy, which gives a different result. But then I thought that in an inelastic collision, there is some loss of energy due to the fact that the gum sticks on the ball, so it can't apply here. Is that assumption correct?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers.

Julien.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    8.8 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good except for your calculation of Isystem. Should anything be squared there?
I agree with your comments about energy.

Likes JulienB
Oops yeah I forgot to write the squares, but they are on my paper. I edit the post immediately, thank you for your answer!

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the amount of rotational motion an object has. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to moment of inertia?

Angular momentum is directly proportional to moment of inertia. This means that an object with a larger moment of inertia will have a greater angular momentum for the same angular velocity, and vice versa.

3. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is dependent on the mass distribution and shape of an object, and is calculated by summing the products of mass and squared distance from the axis of rotation for all particles in the object.

4. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia is often referred to as the rotational equivalent of mass. While mass measures an object's resistance to linear motion, moment of inertia measures its resistance to rotational motion.

5. How does angular momentum and moment of inertia affect an object's motion?

According to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that an object with a larger moment of inertia will rotate more slowly for a given angular momentum, while an object with a smaller moment of inertia will rotate faster. Additionally, if no external torque is applied, the angular momentum and moment of inertia of an object will determine its stability and how easily it can be rotated or stopped.