Angular momentum & Energy using Yukawa's potential

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving Yukawa's theory for nuclear forces and finding the angular momentum and energy for a circular movement with a given radius. The participants discuss methods for finding the angular momentum and energy, including differentiating the effective potential and considering the contributions of kinetic and potential energy. The final hint leads to the simple solution that the total energy for a circular orbit is equal to the magnitude of the potential energy.
Nigsia
Hello there!
I was doing my Gravitation problems and I found this problem that I'm unable to solve.

Yukawa's theory for nuclear forces states that the potential energy corresponding to the attraction force produced by a proton and a neutron is:
[tex]U(r) = \frac{k}{r}e^{-\alpha r},\ k<0,\ \alpha > 0[/tex]
From the expression of it's effective potential, find the module of it's angular momentum and it's energy, for which it's possible a circular movement with a radius r0

I've tried several things, none of them leading to something meaningful. In fact, I know that expression for effective potential is:
[tex]U_{ef}(r)=U(r)+\frac{L}{2r^2}[/tex]
So I imagine I would need to find L fist in order to get the expression for Uef, but I'm not able to remember nor find any kind of formula linking U and L. Would you please help me out?

PS: Once I know how to find L I know how to end it, since:
[tex]\frac{dU_{ef}}{dr} = 0 \Leftrightarrow r = r_0 [/tex]
is the expression of the energy of a circular movement with a radius r0

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are misunderstanding the problem task. You need to use ##r_0## to find the angular momentum and energy. Your work so far is fine and you should continue by differentiating the effective potential.

Okay, I have it differentiated. How do I find angular momentum? As far as I know, I only find the energy with what I've done.

How does the energy look like for a circular orbit?

Do you mean that the Potential is twice the kinetic?

No. I mean: How do you express the total energy for a circular orbit? There is a very simple expression.

I don't really know that formula. The only thing that I can think of is [tex]E=\frac{U}{2}[/tex]

No, it is much simpler than you are thinking. What contributions are there to the total energy?

I really don't know. Can you give me a hint?

What types of energy do you know of?

Kinetic and potential.

Right, so what are their values for a circular orbit?

The potential is twice the kinetic, so [tex] \left| E\right| = \left| \frac{U}{2} \right| = \left| K \right| [/tex]

Nigsia said:
The potential is twice the kinetic, so [tex] \left| E\right| = \left| \frac{U}{2} \right| = \left| K \right| [/tex]
No. This is simply wrong. You have to be aware when certain theorems hold and when they do not. The answer is much simpler and does not require anything else than very basic mechanics.

Could you please give me another hint? I'm really struggling to get anything clear.

In theory [tex]
L=(-mkr_0(1+\alpha r_0)e^{-\alpha r_0})^{1/2}
[/tex]

1. What is Angular Momentum and Energy using Yukawa's potential?

Angular Momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion of a body or system. Energy using Yukawa's potential refers to the potential energy between two particles in a system, calculated using the Yukawa potential equation.

2. How is Angular Momentum related to Yukawa's potential?

Angular Momentum and Yukawa's potential are related through the motion of particles in a system. The angular momentum of a particle can affect the potential energy between particles, and the potential energy can also influence the angular momentum of the particles.

3. What is the equation for calculating Angular Momentum and Energy using Yukawa's potential?

The equation for calculating angular momentum using Yukawa's potential is L = r x p, where L is the angular momentum, r is the position vector, and p is the momentum. The equation for calculating energy is E = -Gm1m2/r + hbar^2/2mr^2 * [1/r - exp(-r/lambda)], where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the particles, hbar is the reduced Planck's constant, m is the reduced mass of the system, r is the distance between the particles, and lambda is the range of the potential.

4. What are the applications of Angular Momentum and Energy using Yukawa's potential?

Angular Momentum and Energy using Yukawa's potential have many applications in physics and chemistry. They can be used to understand the behavior of particles in a wide range of systems, from atoms to galaxies. They are also essential in studying phenomena such as nuclear interactions and quantum mechanics.

5. How does the Yukawa potential differ from the Coulomb potential?

The Yukawa potential differs from the Coulomb potential in that it takes into account the finite range of the interaction between particles. In the Coulomb potential, the interaction between particles is assumed to be instantaneous, while in the Yukawa potential, the interaction has a finite range due to the presence of a massless mediator particle.