Angular Momentum in a pulley-block system

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the equation for angular momentum to determine the total angular momentum of a system involving a counterweight attached to a pulley. The formula is necessary for conserving angular momentum and has parallels with Newton's laws for linear motion. The concept of a centre of angular momentum frame is also briefly discussed.
Zynoakib

Homework Statement

A counterweight of mass m 5 4.00 kg is attached to
a light cord that is wound around a pulley.
The pulley is a thin hoop of radius R =
8.00 cm and mass M = 2.00 kg. The spokes have negligible
mass. When the counterweight has a speed v, the pulley
has an angular speed v = v/R. Determine the magnitude
of the total angular momentum of the system
about the axle of the pulley

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is L = rmv = (0.08)(2 + 4)v = 0.48v
but i don't understand why you have to add the momentum of the block using the equation of angular momentum I mean, it is not moving in a circle, it is moving in a straight line downward.

My original calculation was L = (0..08)(2)(v) + (4)(v)

Is this because when the block "transfers" its momentum to the pulley, its momentum will "act on" the surface of pulley at 0.08 m which is why I have to calculate it like (4)(v)(0.08)?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The "why" here is so that angular momentum is conserved. If you total up the angular momentum of all objects in a system, then let them bounce off each other, then total up the angular momentum again, you get the same number. That works only if you use the angular momentum formula.

Or to look at it another way, consider torque. If you compare the change in angular momentum that torque produces, it looks just like the change in linear momentum that a linear force produces.

## F = \frac {d (mv)}{dt}##

##T = \frac{d (I \omega)}{dt}##

And Newton's laws for linear motion, momentum, and force have direct parallels with angular motion, momentum, and torque. So all the rules and experience you have gained with linear momentum have direct parallels with angular momentum as well. Of course, there are a few places where there are sharp corners. Angular momentum is a pseudo vector, for example. And the "centre of angular momentum frame", if you were to use it, would probably be a rotating frame. And rotating frames have some surprising properties.

But essentially, you need this form of angular momentum to get the conservation of angular momentum.

Hmmm... Centre of angular momentum frame. I wonder if anybody has ever done anything useful with that?

Likes Zynoakib

1. What is angular momentum in a pulley-block system?

Angular momentum in a pulley-block system refers to the rotational motion of the pulley and the blocks attached to it. It is a measure of how much rotational motion an object has and is dependent on the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is angular momentum conserved in a pulley-block system?

Angular momentum is conserved in a pulley-block system because the total amount of angular momentum remains constant as long as there are no external torques acting on the system. This means that the sum of the angular momentum of all the objects in the system remains the same before and after any changes in the system.

3. How do the masses and velocities of the blocks affect the angular momentum in a pulley-block system?

The masses and velocities of the blocks affect the angular momentum in a pulley-block system because they determine the moment of inertia and angular velocity of the system. A larger mass or velocity will result in a higher angular momentum, while a smaller mass or velocity will result in a lower angular momentum.

4. Is there a relationship between the linear and angular momentum in a pulley-block system?

Yes, there is a relationship between linear and angular momentum in a pulley-block system. The linear momentum of the blocks and the angular momentum of the pulley are interconnected through the conservation of angular momentum. This means that as the blocks move and change their linear momentum, the pulley will rotate and change its angular momentum in the opposite direction.

5. Can the direction of angular momentum change in a pulley-block system?

Yes, the direction of angular momentum can change in a pulley-block system. This can happen if there is an external torque acting on the system, which can cause the angular momentum to change direction. However, the total amount of angular momentum will still remain constant, as stated by the law of conservation of angular momentum.