Angular Momentum in Spherical Coordinates

In summary, Neuenschwander has started on a book about Noether's Theorem. He has found that the canonical momenta are p_{\theta} = mr^2 \dot{\theta} and p_{\phi} = mr^2\dot{\phi} and that these must be constants of the motion. He is not sure of what ##p_{\theta}## is, but he knows that it is only constant in the one case where ##\theta## is constant. Can anyone explain what he is doing?
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award
I've started on "Noether's Theorem" by Neuenschwander. This is page 35 of the 2011 edition.

We have the Lagrangian for a central force:

##L = \frac12 m(\dot{r}^2 + r^2 \dot{\theta}^2 + r \dot{\phi}^2 \sin^2 \theta) - U(r)##

Which gives the canonical momenta:

##p_{\theta} = mr^2 \dot{\theta}##

And

##p_{\phi} = mr^2\dot{\phi} \sin^2 \theta##

Which then should be constants of the motion. I recognise ##p_{\phi} = l_z##, but I'm puzzled by what ##p_{\theta}## is.

An an example, I took a circular path (in the x-y plane) and titled it about the x-axis by an angle ##\alpha## to get:

##\vec{r} = r(\cos \omega t, r\cos \alpha \sin \omega t, r\sin \alpha \sin \omega t)##

But, I can't see how ##mr^2 \dot{\theta}## is constant for this motion. As ##r## is constant, we must have a constant ##\dot{\theta}##. We have:

##\cos{\theta} = \sin \alpha \sin \omega t##

Which doesn't lead to constant ##\dot{\theta}## by my calculations:

##\dot{\theta}^2 = \frac{w^2 \sin^2 \alpha \cos^2 \omega t}{1- \sin^2 \alpha \sin^2 \omega t}##

By constrast, I tried examples of titled circular motion about all three axes and ##p_{\phi}## always came out constant.

But, ##p_{\theta}## is only constant in the one case where ##\theta## is constant.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

A second question is that the book says:

When we calculate the particle's angular momentum ##\vec{l} = \vec{r} \times (m\vec{v})## about the origin we obtain:

##\vec{l} = p_{\theta} \hat{\theta} - p_{\phi} \hat{\phi}##

I'm not sure how he gets these from a vector product. In general, I'm not sure of the validity of expressing angular momentum in spherical coordinates, as it's the vector product of a displacement vector from the original with a velocity vector at the particle's location.

Most references I've found online take the operator definition of angular momentum, which I'm familiar with. But, Neuenschwander seems to do it all with vectors. Can anyone explain what he is doing?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
PeroK said:
Which then should be constants of the motion.
Not both of them. If you derive the equations of motion from the Lagrangian, you get for ##\phi## $$\frac{d}{dt} (mr^2 \dot \phi \sin^2 \theta)=0$$ which certainly implies that ##mr^2 \dot \phi \sin^2 \theta=const.## Do the same for ##\theta## and you get $$\frac{d}{dt} (mr^2 \dot \theta)=2r \dot \phi^2 \sin \theta \cos \theta$$

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
kuruman said:
Not both of them. If you derive the equations of motion from the Lagrangian, you get for ##\phi## $$\frac{d}{dt} (mr^2 \dot \phi \sin^2 \theta)=0$$ which certainly implies that ##mr^2 \dot \phi \sin^2 \theta=const.## Do the same for ##\theta## and you get $$\frac{d}{dt} (mr^2 \dot \theta)=2r \dot \phi^2 \sin \theta \cos \theta$$

Of course! Thanks.

What is angular momentum in spherical coordinates?

Angular momentum in spherical coordinates is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of a particle or system of particles around a fixed point, such as the nucleus of an atom. It is defined as the cross product of the particle's position vector and its linear momentum.

How is angular momentum calculated in spherical coordinates?

In spherical coordinates, the magnitude of angular momentum is given by the product of the particle's mass, its distance from the fixed point, and its tangential velocity. The direction of angular momentum is perpendicular to both the position vector and the linear velocity vector, following the right-hand rule.

What are the units of angular momentum in spherical coordinates?

The SI unit of angular momentum in spherical coordinates is kilogram-meter squared per second (kg·m2/s). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as joule-seconds (J·s) or newton-meters per second (N·m/s).

How does angular momentum change in a closed system in spherical coordinates?

In a closed system, angular momentum is conserved, meaning that it remains constant unless an external torque is applied. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum. Any changes in the system's angular momentum must be counteracted by an equal and opposite change in another part of the system.

What are some real-life applications of angular momentum in spherical coordinates?

Angular momentum in spherical coordinates is a fundamental concept in physics and has numerous applications in everyday life. Some examples include the rotation of planets and celestial bodies, the motion of gyroscopes, the operation of engines and turbines, and the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.