Where's my mistake? (Pendulum with gravity)

In summary: Keep up the good work and don't worry about making mistakes! You're doing fine!In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a pendulum and an object with a radius and mass to explore forces such as gravitational acceleration and tension on a rope. The equations and calculations involved in this exploration are also mentioned, including an error that was made and corrected. The conversation ends with a message of encouragement to view mistakes as learning opportunities.
Efeguleroglu
I have a pendulum and an object with radius "R" and mass "m". There are forces: constant gravitational acceleration and tension on the rope. I can write:
$$x=R sin(\theta) \ \ y=R cos(\theta)$$
$$\dot{x}=R\dot{\theta}cos(\theta) \ \ \dot{y}=-R\dot{\theta}sin(\theta)$$
$$\ddot{x}=R\ddot{\theta}cos(\theta)-R{\dot{\theta}}^{2}sin(\theta)\ \ \ (1)$$
$$\ddot{y}=-R\ddot{\theta}sin(\theta)-R{\dot{\theta}}^{2}cos(\theta)\ \ \ (2)$$
$$a=\frac{T}{m}=\frac{{\dot{x}}^{2}+{\dot{y}}^{2}}{R}={\dot{\theta}}^{2}R\ \ \ (3)$$
$$R\ddot{\theta}cos(\theta)-R{\dot{\theta}}^{2}sin(\theta)=\frac{T}{m}sin(\theta)={\dot{\theta}}^{2}Rsin(\theta)$$
Combine (1) and (3).
$$\ddot{\theta}cos(\theta)-{\dot{\theta}}^{2}sin(\theta)={\dot{\theta}}^{2}sin(\theta)$$
$$tan(\theta)=\frac{\ddot{\theta}}{2{\dot{\theta}}^{2}}\ \ \ (4)$$
Combine (2) and (3).
$$-R\ddot{\theta}sin(\theta)-R{\dot{\theta}}^{2}cos(\theta)=\frac{T}{m}cos(\theta)-g=R{\dot{\theta}}^{2}cos(\theta)-g$$
Find tan(θ) and equate to (4).
$$tan(\theta)=-\frac{2{\dot{\theta}}^{2}}{\ddot{\theta}}+\frac{g}{cos(\theta)R\ddot{\theta}}=\frac{\ddot{\theta}}{2{\dot{\theta}}^{2}}\ \ \ (5)$$
$$cos(\theta)=\frac{2{\dot{\theta}}^{2}g}{R({\ddot{\theta}}^{2}+4{\dot{\theta}}^{4})}\ \ \ and\ \ \ y=\frac{2{\dot{\theta}}^{2}g}{({\ddot{\theta}}^{2}+4{\dot{\theta}}^{4})}\ \ \ (6)$$
From (4).
$$cot(\theta)=\frac{2{\dot{\theta}}^{2}}{\ddot{\theta}}\ \ \ (7)$$
Combine (2) and (3).
$$-R\ddot{\theta}sin(\theta)-R{\dot{\theta}}^{2}cos(\theta)=\frac{T}{m}cos(\theta)-g=R{\dot{\theta}}^{2}cos(\theta)-g$$
Find cot(θ) and equate to (7).
$$cot(\theta)=\frac{g}{2sin(\theta){\dot{\theta}}^{2}{R}}-\frac{\ddot{\theta}}{2{\dot{\theta}}^{2}}=\frac{2{\dot{\theta}}^{2}}{\ddot{\theta}}\ \ \ (8)$$
$$sin(\theta)=\frac{\ddot{\theta}g}{(4{\dot{\theta}}^{4}+{\ddot{\theta}}^{2})R}\ \ \ and \ \ \ x=\frac{\ddot{\theta}g}{(4{\dot{\theta}}^{4}+{\ddot{\theta}}^{2})}\ \ \ (9)$$
So from (6) and (9).
$$x^{2}+y^{2}=g^{2}$$
But that doesn't make sense. There must be a mistake. How does
$$g=R$$
have to be hold?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the units of each expression you have written and you will find your error where they do not match. Do this always. I am terrible at Algebra.

That's too embarassing. I forgot to square the denominator. Forgive me for wasting your time :(

Efeguleroglu said:
That's too embarassing. I forgot to square the denominator. Forgive me for wasting your time :(
Efeguleroglu said:
Not a waste if you develop good habits! Glad I could help.

How will I delete this thread?

Efeguleroglu said:
How will I delete this thread?

it's left there ... some one else may learn from it :smile:

I wrote
$$a_c=\frac{T}{m}$$
But it must be equal to
$$a_c=\frac{T+mgcos(\theta)}{m}$$
Actually I mistakenly used T as the centripetal force. It can easily be replaced. I just wanted to fix that.

Efeguleroglu said:
Hi, @Efeguleroglu, I haven't checked the math, but I just want to say that "to err is human." I've done plenty of mistakes during the years, and I still do, though I hope the frequency has been reduced :smile:. And errors and failures are excellent learning opportunities!

Likes davenn

1. What is a pendulum with gravity?

A pendulum with gravity is a simple mechanical system consisting of a weight (or mass) suspended from a pivot point and allowed to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity.

2. What is the purpose of studying pendulums with gravity?

Studying pendulums with gravity can help us understand the principles of motion and gravity, and how they interact with each other. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics.

3. What are the factors that affect the motion of a pendulum with gravity?

The motion of a pendulum with gravity is affected by several factors, including the length of the pendulum, the amplitude of the swing, the mass of the weight, and the force of gravity.

4. How does gravity affect the motion of a pendulum?

Gravity is the force that pulls the pendulum weight towards the earth's center. This force causes the pendulum to swing back and forth, with the weight reaching its highest point at the center of the swing and its lowest point at the ends of the swing.

5. What is the relationship between the length of a pendulum and its period?

The length of a pendulum and its period (the time it takes to complete one swing) are inversely proportional. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases. This relationship was first discovered by Galileo and is known as the "law of isochronism."