Angular momentum of a particle

Xuran Wu
Homework Statement
A 2.5kg particle travels at a constant speed of 5m/s along the line shown in the figure. What is the magnitude of the particle’s angular momentum calculated from the origin?
A.10kg*m^2/s
B.24 kg*m^2/s
C.30 kg*m^2/s
D.32 kg*m^2/s
E.40 kg*m^2/s
Relevant Equations
L=l* ω, ω= Θ/t, α= ΔΘ/Δt
image.jpg

First, I have always consider that the angular momentum equals to inertia times angular velocity, but that’s not the case from the options perpective, is my memory wrong, or is there something wrong with the options?
Another, I think I need to figure out the angle it went through, I think it has something to do with trigonometry, but I am not sure, and I cannot find a way to solve it.
Can anyone can help me with this? Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your relevant equations apply to a rotating rigid body. This is not the problem at hand.

How is the angular momentum of a particle relative to any point defined?

Edit: I’ll also note that your statement says a mass of 2.5 kg, but the illustration seems to specify 2 kg. Which of these it is will of course affect the result.

Likes scottdave
Also, you should double-check whether the mass is 2.5 kg (problem text) or 2 kg (figure)

Xuran Wu said:
First, I have always consider that the angular momentum equals to inertia times angular velocity, ##\dots##
That's not quite correct. Angular momentum is a vector and one should write a vector equation ##\vec L=I\vec {\omega}.## Yes, a point mass may be considered as a rigid body with moment of inertia ##I=mr^2## but you need to be careful.

Here, the linear velocity is related to the angular velocity by ##\vec v=\vec {\omega}\times \vec r.## Now$$\vec r\times\vec v=\vec r\times(\vec {\omega}\times \vec r)=\vec{\omega}(\vec r\cdot \vec r)-\vec r(\vec r\cdot \vec{\omega})=r^2\vec{\omega} \implies \vec{\omega}=\frac{\vec r\times\vec v}{r^2}.$$Then $$L=I\vec {\omega}=mr^2\frac{\vec r\times\vec v}{r^2}=m\vec r\times \vec v=\vec r \times \vec p.$$ Your modified diagram below shows what you need to consider. Yes, you need to use trigonometry and your knowledge of cross products. Note that
  1. ##\sin(\pi-\theta)=\sin\theta##
  2. The perpendicular distance from the origin to the particle's path ##r_p## is the same no matter where the particle is.
  3. You have a 3-4-5 triangle.

AngMomParticle.png

Likes MatinSAR

1. What is angular momentum of a particle?

Angular momentum of a particle is a measure of the rotational motion of a particle around a fixed point or axis. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the particle's mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum (L) can be calculated using the formula L = Iω, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. Alternatively, it can also be calculated as L = r x p, where r is the position vector and p is the linear momentum of the particle.

3. What is the relationship between angular momentum and torque?

Angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant unless an external torque is applied. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum. When a torque is applied to a particle, it causes a change in its angular momentum.

4. How does angular momentum affect the motion of a particle?

Angular momentum affects the motion of a particle by determining the direction and speed of its rotational motion. In the absence of external torques, the angular momentum of a particle remains constant and its rotational motion will continue at a constant rate.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular momentum?

Some real-life examples of angular momentum include the rotation of a spinning top, the movement of a gyroscope, and the motion of a planet around its axis. In sports, the spinning of a figure skater or the rotation of a ball in sports like basketball and tennis also demonstrate the concept of angular momentum.