Angular momentum of a system of a rotating rod and sliding rings

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of angular momentum and its conservation in an isolated system. The question at hand is regarding the calculation of the final angular momentum after the rings have left the rod. The speaker brings up the equation I_f = \frac{1}{12}M_L L^2 + 2M_Rd^2, which takes into account the mass of the rings and their distance from the axis of rotation, but is unsure why it is the same as the equation I_f = \frac{1}{12}M_L L^2. The other person explains that the same system must be used for both the initial and final angular momentum, and that the rings cannot be neglected once they have left the rod.
Eggue
Homework Statement
A uniform, 0.0300-kg rod of length 0.400 m rotates in a horizontal plane about a fixed axis through its center and perpendicular to the rod. Two small rings, each with mass 0.0200 kg, are mounted so that they can slide along the rod. They are initially held by catches at positions 0.0500 m on each side of the center of the rod, and the system is rotating at With no other changes in the system, the catches are released, and the rings slide outward along the rod and fly off at the ends. (a) What is the angular speed of the system at the instant when the rings reach the ends of the rod? (b) What is the angular speed of the rod after the rings leave it?
Relevant Equations
Conservation of angular momentum
I got the correct answer for the first part but I'm not sure why the answer for (b) is the same for (a). Wouldn't the rings falling off mean that [itex] I_f = \frac{1}{12}M_L L^2[/itex] only where [itex]I_F, M_L, L[/itex] are the final moment of inertia, mass of the rod and length of the rod as opposed to [itex] I_f = \frac{1}{12}M_L L^2 + 2M_Rd^2[/itex] where [itex]M_R[/itex] is the mass of the rings and [itex]d_L[/itex] is their distance from the axis of rotation?

Physics news on Phys.org
The angular momentum of an isolated system is conserved. When you calculate the final angular momentum (after the rings have left the rod) you must still use the same system as you did for the initial angular momentum. You can't neglect the angular momentum of the rings once they have left the rod.

Draw a picture that shows the motion of the rings after they leave the rod. Neglect gravity, it's irrelevant.

Likes Eggue and etotheipi

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion of an object or system around a fixed axis. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

The angular momentum of a system is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to change in rotation) by the angular velocity (the rate at which the object is rotating) and the direction of rotation.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques. This means that if no external forces or moments act on a system, the total angular momentum will remain the same.

4. How does the angular momentum of a rotating rod and sliding rings system change?

In a rotating rod and sliding rings system, the angular momentum can change if there is an external torque acting on the system. This can be caused by a change in the mass distribution, the radius of rotation, or the angular velocity of the system.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular momentum?

Some common examples of angular momentum in everyday life include a spinning top, a rotating bicycle wheel, a planet orbiting around the sun, and a figure skater performing a spin. In all of these cases, the objects have angular momentum due to their rotational motion around a fixed axis.