Angular momentum of rigid body elements tensor

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the tensor for Angular momentum of a rigid body and how it relates to the vector cross product in cartesian coordinates. A helpful link and explanation are provided to understand the process, and the conversation ends with the realization that the triple vector product can also be evaluated using the product of a skew-symmetric matrix and a vector, making it a more efficient method.
ognik

Homework Statement

I was working through my text on deriving the tensor for Angular momentum of the sums of elements of a rigid body, I follow it all except for one step. Here is a great page which shows the derivation nicely - http://www.kwon3d.com/theory/moi/iten.html
I follow clearly to the Eq. below

Homework Equations

$$H= \sum_{i} m_{i} [ r_{i}\wedge(\omega\wedge r_{i})] $$

The Attempt at a Solution

The link is as far as I could get, could someone please explain how it goes from the above Eq. to the 3 matrices in the next step?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Thanks, indeed it does - "The vector cross product also can be expressed as the product of a skew-symmetric matrix and a vector" (not in my textbook, naughty, bad textbook :-))
I also did the (laborious) 'normal' triple vector product calculations, and happily ended with the same answer - guess which way I will be evaluating triple vector products from now on :-)

Related to Angular momentum of rigid body elements tensor

1. What is the definition of angular momentum of a rigid body elements tensor?

The angular momentum of a rigid body elements tensor is a measure of the rotational motion of a rigid body around a fixed axis. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the mass, velocity, and distribution of mass around the axis of rotation.

2. How is the angular momentum of a rigid body elements tensor calculated?

The angular momentum of a rigid body elements tensor is calculated by taking the cross product of the angular velocity vector and the inertia tensor of the rigid body. This can be represented mathematically as L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the inertia tensor, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What is the significance of the inertia tensor in calculating angular momentum?

The inertia tensor plays a crucial role in calculating the angular momentum of a rigid body elements tensor. It represents the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation and determines how the body responds to rotational motion. A higher inertia tensor means a larger resistance to rotational motion, resulting in a higher angular momentum.

4. How does the angular momentum of a rigid body elements tensor affect the motion of the body?

The angular momentum of a rigid body elements tensor is conserved, meaning it remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that the rotational motion of the body will also remain constant unless an external torque is applied. In simpler terms, the angular momentum dictates the stability and predictability of the body's rotational motion.

5. Can the angular momentum of a rigid body elements tensor be changed?

As mentioned before, the angular momentum of a rigid body elements tensor can only be changed by an external torque. This can be achieved through an applied force or a change in the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation. In the absence of any external torques, the angular momentum will remain constant, providing a useful tool for analyzing and predicting the motion of rigid bodies.