Angular Simple Harmonic Motion

In summary, to change the balance spring of a watch running 45 seconds too fast, the rotational inertia of the hoop should be changed by a certain percentage, which can be calculated using the equations given. By finding the change in rotational inertia in terms of the original value and using the given formulas, the necessary adjustments can be made to the watch's balance spring.
LucasCammarata
1. The balance spring of a watch is a hoop 1.2 cm in diameter, with a mass of 0.65 g. If the watch is running 45 seconds per day too fast, by what percentage should the rotational inertia of the hoop be changed?

2. Homework Equations : I = mR^2
Ia = -k(theta)
x(t) = Xm Cos(wt + @) (just using @ for phase constant)
T = 2pi ( I/mgL)^0.5

3. Rotational inertia = (0.00065 kg) x (0.006)^2 = 2.34 x 10^-8 I actually have no idea where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello LC, welcome to PF :smile: !

You don't want the value of the inertia, you only want the change ! So you could just as well call it ##I_0##, from which you can calculate a ##T_0##. You want a ##T_1## which is soandosmuch over soandso times ##T_0##. That tells you something about ##I_1## in terms of ##I_0## !

Cryptic ? Give it a try and post.

--

1. What is Angular Simple Harmonic Motion?

Angular Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion where an object rotates about a fixed axis and experiences a restoring torque that is directly proportional to the angular displacement from its equilibrium position.

2. What is the equation for Angular Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Angular Simple Harmonic Motion is θ(t) = θ0cos(ωt + φ), where θ is the angular displacement, θ0 is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

3. How is Angular Simple Harmonic Motion different from Linear Simple Harmonic Motion?

The main difference between Angular Simple Harmonic Motion and Linear Simple Harmonic Motion is the type of motion. Angular Simple Harmonic Motion involves rotational motion about a fixed axis, while Linear Simple Harmonic Motion involves linear motion along a straight line.

4. What is the period of Angular Simple Harmonic Motion?

The period of Angular Simple Harmonic Motion is the time it takes for the object to complete one full rotation and return to its starting point. It is calculated as T = 2π/ω, where ω is the angular frequency.

5. What are some real-life examples of Angular Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some real-life examples of Angular Simple Harmonic Motion include the motion of a pendulum, the rotation of a propeller, and the back-and-forth motion of a fan blade. It can also be seen in the motion of a spinning top or a swinging door.