Angular speed question right away

In summary, the question is asking for the angular speed of a pencil released from a vertical position with the eraser end resting on a table. The eraser does not slip and the pencil is treated as a uniform rod. The answer choices are a. 11.2 rad/s, b. 7.23 rad/s, c. 24.5 rad/s, and d. 16.8 rad/s. To solve this, conservation of energy can be used by considering the change in potential energy of the pencil, which is converted into rotational kinetic energy. The change in height of the center of mass should be used in this calculation.
apgym2
angular speed question! please help right away!

a pencil, 15.7 cm long, is released from a vertical position with the eraser end resting on a table. The eraser does not slip. Treat the pencil like a uniform rod. what is the angular speed of the pencil just before it hits the table?

i know i have to use conservation of energy, but I am not sure where center of mass fits in.. please help

the answer choices are:
a. 11.2 rad/s
b. 7.23 rad/s
c. 24.5 rad/s
d. 16.8 rad/s

any help or guidance would be much appreciated..thank u!

Physics news on Phys.org
apgym2 said:
i know i have to use conservation of energy, but I am not sure where center of mass fits in..
In figuring the change of PE of the pencil, use the change in height of the center of mass. The PE gets converted to rotational KE.

To solve this problem, we can use the conservation of energy principle, which states that the total energy of a system remains constant. In this case, the pencil has potential energy at the top of the table and kinetic energy just before it hits the table. We can equate these two energies to find the angular speed of the pencil.

First, we need to find the potential energy of the pencil at the top of the table. The potential energy of an object at a certain height is given by the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height.

In this case, the height of the pencil is the length of the pencil, 15.7 cm. The mass of the pencil is not given, but we can assume it is a standard pencil with a mass of about 10 grams (0.01 kg). The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. Plugging these values into the formula, we get PE = (0.01 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(0.157 m) = 0.0154 J.

Next, we need to find the kinetic energy of the pencil just before it hits the table. The kinetic energy of an object in motion is given by the formula KE = 1/2Iω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular speed.

Since the pencil is treated as a uniform rod, its moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = 1/12mL^2, where m is the mass and L is the length of the rod. Plugging in our values, we get I = (1/12)(0.01 kg)(0.157 m)^2 = 0.0000205 kgm^2.

Now, we can equate the potential energy and kinetic energy to find the angular speed. 0.0154 J = 1/2(0.0000205 kgm^2)ω^2. Solving for ω, we get ω = √(2(0.0154 J)/(0.0000205 kgm^2)) = 16.8 rad/s.

Therefore, the correct answer is d. 16.8 rad/s.

In terms of the center of mass, it is not necessary to consider it in this problem since the pencil is

Related to Angular speed question right away

1. What is angular speed and how is it different from linear speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast something is rotating around a fixed point. It is different from linear speed, which measures how fast something is moving in a straight line. Angular speed is typically measured in radians per second, while linear speed is measured in meters per second.

2. How is angular speed calculated?

Angular speed can be calculated by dividing the angular displacement (in radians) by the time interval it took to complete that displacement. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear speed by the radius of the circular path.

3. How is angular speed related to rotational velocity?

Angular speed and rotational velocity are essentially the same thing. They both measure the rate of rotation or angular motion. The only difference is in the units used to express them - angular speed is measured in radians per second, while rotational velocity is measured in rotations per minute (RPM) or degrees per second.

4. Can angular speed be negative?

Yes, angular speed can be negative. This indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. For example, if a wheel is rotating clockwise with an angular speed of 5 radians per second, its angular speed would be -5 radians per second if it were rotating counterclockwise.

5. How is angular speed used in real-world applications?

Angular speed is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as measuring the speed of a spinning object (like a fan or a turbine), calculating the angular acceleration of a rotating object, and determining the speed of rotation of planets and celestial bodies in space. It is also used in engineering and physics to analyze and design rotational systems.