Angular velocity of a bullet and two masses

In summary: It is not necessary for the string to be elastic. There is no abrupt change in velocity; it is a smooth transition.
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
Consider the picture attached. Suppose that the bullet has a mass ##m_0## and initial velocity ##v_0##, and suppose that the masses has mass ##m##. The length of the string is ##2b## and ##\theta=90°##
What's the final velocity and angular velocity
Relevant Equations
##P=ccte##
As ##P=ccte## we can find final velocity considering a plastic collision
##m_0 . v_0 =(2m+m_0).V##

But what about the angular velocity? Because, as the bullet hits the centre of mass of the string, it won't have angular velocity

Attachments

• 20200204_215858.jpg
    20200204_215858.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 192
Physics news on Phys.org
Like Tony Stark said:
Relevant Equations:: ##P=ccte##

as the bullet hits the centre of mass of the string, it won't have angular velocity
I assume "ccte" is an abbreviation for constant in some language.

Angular velocity is, in general, in respect of a chosen axis. Maybe it would help to choose a different one.

Edit... on second thoughts, not sure that helps. But it is something you ought to try.

Last edited:
Likes Like Tony Stark
Respect to the middle of the line, it's right that the total angular momentum of the system is zero(cause the angular velocity is zero), please verify that the angular momentum is still zero after the collision respect to the same point.

Like Tony Stark said:
plastic collision
Did you mean inelastic? What makes you think so?

wxhoho said:
cause the angular velocity is zero
Angular velocity is a characteristic of rigid systems. You do not have a rigid system here. Pieces of the system may still rotate rigidly and have angular velocities about carefully chosen axes.

What is the expected final state here? Are the two masses expected to bump into each other? Or are we expecting a stable orbit of the two masses tethered to the still-moving bullet? What question is being asked?

My interpretation is that one is asked to describe the motion of the two masses and the bullet after the collision with the connecting chord and while the two masses are moving towards each other as suggested in the three figures. The angular velocity mentioned by OP would be that of either mass about the moving bullet. The middle figure (b) suggests that the connecting chord is elastic because it shows that the masses have not moved while the chord is stretched. Upon closer inspection, one must conclude that the middle figure is poorly drawn because the length of the connecting chord is explicitly labeled b + b in all three figures.

haruspex said:
Did you mean inelastic? What makes you think so?
Because I considered that the two balls and the bullet remain as "one body" since they have the same velocity

jbriggs444 said:
What is the expected final state here? Are the two masses expected to bump into each other? Or are we expecting a stable orbit of the two masses tethered to the still-moving bullet? What question is being asked?

It's not said in the question. I think we can consider that the balls may collide inelastically or elastically.
I considered the first option so that the balls and the bullet move with same velocity

Like Tony Stark said:
Because I considered that the two balls and the bullet remain as "one body" since they have the same velocity
Certainly there is a loss of KE associated with the forward velocity of the whole system, but this is not a simple coalescence. There is an obvious place for that energy to go.

kuruman said:
My interpretation is that one is asked to describe the motion of the two masses and the bullet after the collision with the connecting chord and while the two masses are moving towards each other as suggested in the three figures. The angular velocity mentioned by OP would be that of either mass about the moving bullet. The middle figure (b) suggests that the connecting chord is elastic because it shows that the masses have not moved while the chord is stretched. Upon closer inspection, one must conclude that the middle figure is poorly drawn because the length of the connecting chord is explicitly labeled b + b in all three figures.
Maybe I am asked to find the angular velocity of the balls when they sweep 90°

haruspex said:
Certainly there is a loss of KE associated with the forward velocity of the whole system, but this is not a simple coalescence. There is an obvious place for that energy to go.
And what if the string is not elastic?

Like Tony Stark said:
And what if the string is not elastic?
It is not necessary for the string to be elastic. There is no abrupt change in velocity; it is a smooth transition.
You could solve this problem in terms of forces and accelerations, but on performing the first integration I believe you will simply get an energy conservation equation.

Likes Like Tony Stark
Like Tony Stark said:
Maybe I am asked to find the angular velocity of the balls when they sweep 90°
That you can do by conserving kinetic energy and linear momentum. Why do you say "maybe"? Don't you know what the problem is asking?

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is usually measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. How is angular velocity related to linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related by the radius of rotation. Angular velocity is equal to linear velocity divided by the radius of rotation. This relationship is known as the tangential velocity formula: ω = v/r, where ω is angular velocity, v is linear velocity, and r is the radius of rotation.

3. How is the angular velocity of a bullet calculated?

The angular velocity of a bullet is calculated by dividing its linear velocity by the radius of rotation. This can be determined by measuring the distance from the center of rotation (usually the barrel of the gun) to the center of mass of the bullet.

4. How does the angular velocity of two masses differ?

The angular velocity of two masses may differ if they have different linear velocities or are rotating around different points. In order to compare the angular velocity of two masses, the radius of rotation and linear velocity of each mass must be taken into account.

5. Why is angular velocity important in ballistics?

Angular velocity plays a crucial role in ballistics because it affects the trajectory of a projectile. The faster the angular velocity of a bullet, the more stable and accurate its flight path will be. Understanding the angular velocity of a bullet can also help determine its range and impact force.