Angular velocity of pinned rod

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angular velocity and acceleration of the rod QR, which is connected to a moving point P on a plane. The first equation provided is incorrect as it does not take into account the movement of Q. It is suggested to consider the rotation of QR through an angle phi and find expressions for the position and angle of PQ. Calculations will require creating a system of coordinates and determining the velocity and acceleration of Q. However, it should be noted that the acceleration of Q is not horizontal, making the calculations more complex.
DrNG
Homework Statement
As shown in the figure, two rods PQ and QR, pinned at Q and rod QR is hinged at R. P moves with a velocity v0 and acceleration a0 along the incline. We are required to find the angular velocities of P and Q, angular acceleration of PQ as well as QR.
Relevant Equations
ωPQ=v⊥/ℓ
My line of thinking is as follows:

[tex]\omega_{PQ} = \frac{v_{\perp}}{\ell} = \frac v\ell \frac{\sqrt3}{2}[/tex]

Similarly for rod ##QR##

[tex]\omega_{QR} = \frac{v_{\perp}}{\ell} = \frac v\ell \frac{\sqrt3}{2}[/tex]

Is my reasoning correct?

Attachments

• 4arZm.png
    4arZm.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 72
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first equation appears to ignore that Q will move.
Say P is moving up the plane. Then Q moves closer to the plane, increasing the rate at which the rod rotates.

Likes DrNG
haruspex said:
Your first equation appears to ignore that Q will move.
Say P is moving up the plane. Then Q moves closer to the plane, increasing the rate at which the rod rotates.
Thanks for your reply!

I get it now.
Can you please suggest on which lines should I attempt further.. I'm not so comfy with rotating frames...

DrNG said:
Thanks for your reply!

I get it now.
Can you please suggest on which lines should I attempt further.. I'm not so comfy with rotating frames...
I would consider QR rotated through an angle ##\phi## and find expressions for the position of P and the angle of PQ in terms of that. Could be messy, though.
If it were only the angular velocity that is required, you could take ##\phi## as small and make suitable approximations, but the acceleration is a bit harder.

For the instantaneous position of the mechanism, I would first try to calculate the tangential velocity and acceleration of Q (both horizontal vectors), which depend on Vo and ao.
You will need to create a system of coordinates aligned in a form that makes calculations easier.
Q is a common point for links RQ and PQ; therefore, you will have velocity values and directions for both ends of link QP and could calculate its center of rotation and angular velocity and acceleration.

Lnewqban said:
acceleration of Q (both horizontal vector
The acceleration of Q is not horizontal. That's why it it's a bit tougher.

1. What is angular velocity of a pinned rod?

The angular velocity of a pinned rod is a measure of how fast the rod is rotating around its pivot point, or pin. It is typically measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular velocity of a pinned rod calculated?

The angular velocity of a pinned rod can be calculated by dividing the angular displacement (change in angle) by the change in time. This is represented by the formula: ω = Δθ/Δt.

3. What factors affect the angular velocity of a pinned rod?

The angular velocity of a pinned rod can be affected by several factors, including the length of the rod, the force applied to it, and the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of the rod.

4. How does the angular velocity of a pinned rod relate to its linear velocity?

The angular velocity of a pinned rod is directly proportional to its linear velocity. This means that as the angular velocity increases, the linear velocity also increases, and vice versa.

5. What is the difference between angular velocity and angular acceleration of a pinned rod?

Angular velocity measures the rate of change of the angle of rotation, while angular acceleration measures the rate of change of the angular velocity. In other words, angular acceleration is the change in angular velocity over time.