Animated Display of Quantitative Information

In summary, the video by Timo Bingmann is a great example of how quantitative information can be depicted with the help of video and/or audio.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
I'm sure that many PF members are fans of the seminal book
The Visual Display of Quantitative Information by Edward R. Tufte

But books on dead trees can only show static information. How about quanitative information depicted with the help of audio and/or video? I would like to nominate this video by Timo Bingmann, as my favorite. I invite PF members to post links to their own nominees.

By the way, I want to open this to any type of quantitative information, not just scientific, and not just computer generated. Therefore, GD is our only forum broad enough for that.

Rules:
  1. Credit the source.
  2. Quantitative information, animated by video and/or audio.

Likes Asymptotic, BillTre and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
I'm sure that many PF members are fans of the seminal book
The Visual Display of Quantitative Information by Edward R. Tufte
Yep. A place of honour on my bookshelf.

Very cool video.

Likes BillTre
I no longer have the hardware to do it and this dates to circa 1975-76. Back then there were memory-mapped video displays for the S-100 machines (2MHz, 8080 CPU). We would set the Stack to the display memory as a last-resort to debug/trace a program. The other way was to insert Jump-to-self instructions in the code and then single-step from the front panel switches, not a very interesting video.

Occasionally we would put an AM radio tuned between stations next to the computer to collect clues. There was enough EMI emitted that you could even write programs to play a tune on the radio, "This Old Man" was a popular one. (well, I still have the hardware for that one, but not the incentive. :oldbiggrin:)

Likes anorlunda
Great idea for a thread.

I liked the music.
It was nicely coordinated with the visuals. Driven by visual (or computational) events?

This NY Times article (How Two Big Earthquakes Triggered 16,000 More in Southern California; By Derek Watkins, July 19, 2019) have a nice bunch of videos showing the location/size of earthquakes, during and after, the recent two big ones.
The earthquakes are shown on a map of the affected area, and there is a larger scale version for the whole state (but without showing the size-to-strength relationship).

If I knew how to copy the moving image (gif's?), I would try to post them.
All I could get is a screenshot, which doesn't show how this pattern develops over time.
Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 11.59.44 PM.png

I'm going to post about this in the Earth Sciences section for geological type discussions.

Likes anorlunda

1. What is an animated display of quantitative information?

An animated display of quantitative information refers to the use of moving visuals or animations to present and communicate data or numerical information. It is a method of visually representing complex data in a dynamic and engaging way.

2. What are the benefits of using animated displays for quantitative information?

Animated displays can help to simplify and clarify complex data, making it easier for viewers to understand and interpret. They can also make data more interesting and engaging, increasing audience attention and retention. Additionally, animated displays can help to highlight trends and patterns in data that may not be as apparent in static displays.

3. What types of data are best suited for animated displays?

Animated displays can be beneficial for any type of quantitative information, such as numerical data, statistical data, or data with a time component. They are particularly useful for displaying data with multiple variables or for comparing data over time.

4. What are some common tools or software used for creating animated displays of quantitative information?

There are various tools and software available for creating animated displays, including Adobe After Effects, Tableau, Plotly, and Google Data Studio. Some of these tools require programming knowledge, while others have user-friendly interfaces for creating animations.

5. How can animated displays of quantitative information be used in scientific research?

Animated displays can play a crucial role in scientific research by helping to visualize and explain complex data and findings. They can also be used to present research findings in a more engaging and accessible way, making them more appealing to a wider audience. Additionally, animated displays can assist in identifying patterns and trends in data, which can aid in the development of new hypotheses and further research.